Through the looking glass...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I'm getting close to purchasing a new windscreen. Do I actually have took through the plastic to get into the quiet air?

I'm getting close to purchasing a new windscreen. Do I actually have took through the plastic to get into the quiet air?
I find that if my eye line is just over the top of the wind screen, I am in the vac and out of the wind. I have a CeeBailey +2+2 with a flip and I love it. I'm 5'8".

Bob

I use a Cee Bailey with a flip and I look over the screen and I am in still air. I would hate to have to look thru the screen. For your info I am 6 ft tall.

Mac

Not really, but it depends on how quiet you are looking for.

If I raise my Cee Baily 4X4 all the way up, it is pretty damn quiet, but most times I lower it so I am looking just over the top of the sheild. The air is hitting the top of the helmet and the wind noise is a bit louder than all the way up, but alot quieter than all the way down.

How noisey your helmet is , which sheild you are using and how fast you are going all make a difference here. Many wear earplugs so noise it less of a problem to them as helmet buffeting or back pressure.

The Cee Bailey is pretty clean opticaly so I don't mind looking through it if I have to.

KM

I've got a Cee Baily +2+4 with the flip and look over the top. It's so quiet I can hear the tires on the road. I set my Ipod to a normal listening level before getting on the bike and never need to turn it up.

I look over the top of my V-Stream for the most part, unless it's howlin' down.

I'll be up at Ephrata this Sunday AM, if you wanna swing by and check it out.

Pete.

You don't want to be looking though the screen in anything but the full up position. The reason being, at night + rain your *BLIND*. Doesn't matter whose shield your using. Most windshields the sweet spot is when your looking over the top of the screen by 2-3"

I have a Cal-Sci and I position the windshield so I'm looking over it 2 to 3 inches. This is the most comfortable position for me and it keeps the wind noise down.

I have a VStream. I run with it all the way up. I can look just over the top and have no helmet buffeting. If I get much higher, I start hearing some buffeting. Crouching forward a little, and looking through the absolute top of the windshield, I find is a very comfortable sight picture for me. All I hear is the front tire's road noise and the motor. No wind. That's nice. As some have mentioned, there is that envelope that the angle of the windshield will provide. But the results depend upon the riders position.

Remember...if you add risers and other devices to make you sit back a little and sit "higher", you are more apt to be in the wind and your wind shield is not doing what it was designed to do for you. I didn't like the stock, but the VStream is about 3.5 inches or so taller, and a little wider, and it also eliminated should buffeting. All this makes a big difference on long distance rides. I don't need ear plugs any more to protect my ears from the wind hurling around my helmet. Good luck with your choice.