Tick be gone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch

Reaction score
First off, I would never been able to achieve this without the help from this forum. Thank you Warchild, etc... I dont post often, have lurked for sometime.

I went to four shops here in NJ to have my bike diagnosed. None of them offered any help except to say it's normal. NORMAL??? The ticking got so loud I thought I had cards on the rims.

I read all about the tick on this forum, educated myself. Went to the 5th dealership educated him on what I learned. He listened to the bike with a stethascope and agreed with me. He then called Yamaha and they told him to drop the pipes.

On 1-2 there was oil!!!

Yamaha told them they would cover all parts and labor on the re-build. It is currently under re-build. The bike is an '03 way out of warranty.

I just want to thank everyone who has ever posted about this problem, buy you a virtual beer and steak, and Yamaha for standing behind their product.

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, I would never been able to achieve this without the help from this forum. Thank you Warchild, etc... I dont post often, have lurked for sometime.
I went to four shops here in NJ to have my bike diagnosed. None of them offered any help except to say it's normal. NORMAL??? The ticking got so loud I thought I had cards on the rims.

I read all about the tick on this forum, educated myself. Went to the 5th dealership educated him on what I learned. He listened to the bike with a stethascope and agreed with me. He then called Yamaha and they told him to drop the pipes.

On 1-2 there was oil!!!

Yamaha told them they would cover all parts and labor on the re-build. It is currently under re-build. The bike is an '03 way out of warranty.

I just want to thank everyone who has ever posted about this problem, buy you a virtual beer and steak, and Yamaha for standing behind their product.

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:
Mitch, thank you for posting up about this. Too bad you had to go through so many dealers! It's nice to see that Yamaha is doing the right thing about this.

:rolleyes:

glad to hear Yamaha is doing the right thing for you.

Make sure they order new head bolts - they all seem to think they can re-use them but they are a use-once-and-throw-away item.

BTW - my '05 repaired ticker is runnning STRONG nearly 35k miles later.

You don't say how many miles you have on your ride - but if it is a high mileage machine, I wonder if it isn't worth doing a ring job once the head is off and someone else is paying most of the cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear they are taking care of you. :clapping:

Yamaha has really stepped up with this whole excessive valve guide wear issue.