Tickover problem on '02 Model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beano

Reaction score
Hi guys,i'm looking for help with an engine tickover problem.The engine is just about tickingover @ about 550rpm an cutting out as i come down through the gears as i blip the throttle.This problem occured gradually over a couple of weeks.

So i was wondering is it just a matter of turning up the tickover screw,and if so where is it located?.

Thanks in advance

Beano

In Yank speak, I believe you are looking for the idle speed adjuster. This is what you are looking for: Click here. If your idle speed has changed dramatically over a couple of weeks I think it is time to do some troubleshooting. Are the basic things in good order? Did you get a tank of bad gas? Basic items: Air filter, pinched fuel lines, pinched gas tank vent lines, spark plugs, throttle body synch, air leak at the boots that connect the air box to the intake manifolds, inspect the throttle cable pulley and cable clamp just above the pulley.

Let us know what you find!

Edit: Randy is quicker at the keyboard than I am, beat me by 1 whole minute. :lol: At least we agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Randy and ionbeam,i never would have found that idle speed adjuster screw without your help.I gave it a couple tweaks clockwise to 1000rpm and took it for a test ride/holligan blast and she's running like a dream. :good:

Thanks again.

Beano