Tie downs on luggage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I was using a Nelsen-Rigg tail trunk this weekend
Nelson_Rigg_Expandable_Sport_Tail_Pack.jpg
and had it mounted to the passenger seat using the quick release hook straps provided. I've used it many times before with no problems and generally put on a safety strap of some sort just in case. Well on one of my frequent stops at "no vacancy" hotels, I happened to notice the two back straps on the case had released and are now somewhere in VT. Luckily I had a ROK strap with me and secured it but the moral of the story is you can never check these things often enough. I think probably what happened was that the elastic on the rain cover pushed against the release hard enough to pop it open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Axeman,

Would you recommend the Nelson-Rigg tail pack? I've mail/internet ordered a couple of different tank packs lately and had to return them. I've got an NR strap-on now but I'm not sure if it'll do the job - on full lock it may interfere with steering. I'm thinking a tail pack might be the way to go (it's not likely I'm going to find a date anytime soon ;) . I seem to remember you had tank bag recommendations, too. I'd love to hear them.

Your stories of the northeast, VT and Sag Harbor are killing me. I know it's beautiful there right now and I'm jealous. Enjoy it for the rest of us displaced New Yorkers!

-MW

MW,

I like the Nelsen-Rigg stuff in general, think its well made and can usually be found at a reasonable price. I use the tail trunk on the back seat because it also acts as my backrest. I had originally bought it for the Honda VFR but found that it works well on the FJR also. As far as the tank bags go I usually use one of these
Nelson_Rigg_Mini_Magnetic_Tank_Bag.jpg

I also have a larger version of it that I bought but have never used because it contacts the bars lock to lock in the position I normally like it and I generally don't need that large a bag when riding the VFR. So if anyone needs one, let me know and I can work out a price for you.

Nelson_Rigg_Large_Magnetic_Tank_Bag.jpg