Tight wad Zumo mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semongtaulie

Reaction score
Okay, been the benefactor of alot of info on this forum so time to start giving back. Here's my tight wad Zumo mount (didn't have any money left after I bought the Zumo and Touratech bracket :lol: ). I went to Lowes and picked up a package of Stanley galvanized "L" brackets. Trimmed off one leg and elongated the remaining hole using a Dremel. The elongated holes were more for my lack of tight measuring skills than anything else. They allow you some wiggle room positioning the mount on the gas tank bolts. Dry fitted everything, then primed and painted both L brackets with metallic silver wheel paint (matches pretty well)and then used the stock handlebar ram ball that comes with the Zumo and "sandwiched" it between the two L brackets. Used stainless hardware to fasten it all together. Works great, low profile and puts the Zumo at a good height.

The only thing left to do is figure out a way to secure the Ram thumb screw. I know Ram makes a locking thumb screw but it's big and doesn't meet my tight wad theme.

Had this setup for a couple thousand miles and it's sturdy. All for less than $10.00.

SNV10501.jpg

SNV10500.jpg

SNV10502.jpg

I like it!! Inexpensive, but doesn't really look like it.

Rather than attempting to lock the RAM arm, I fashioned a cable lock for my Zumo 550. That way everything is fastened to the bike and can't easily be absconded.

Here's a link: Click me

Nothing tight-wad about that set up. Looks good and is functional...what more do you need!

Good job and thanks for the idea.

--G

To secure my Ram-Rod (really? :lol: ) I just took the wing nut off and put on a normal nylock nut. Obviously if someone has a wrench they can still take it, but if they have a wrench, they can probably take it anyways. Nice work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course a Wyn-Pro RAM-Bone is a whole lot better looking and at <$40 is pretty darn cheap to boot.
I was pretty sure that I wanted this mount because it looks good & it stays stationary. But when I sat on the bike an put the Zumo in this location it felt like I had to tilt my head too far down to look at it. So I moved it over to the left side handlebar position and it's much higher in my field of vision and I left it there. I think from a "looks" perspective the RAM-Bone mount looks the most appealing aesthetically, but at least for me it seems more user friendly & practical mouted up higher on the handlebars.

Besides if your trying to mess around with your GPS while your in the middle of curve you'd got much bigger safety issues to worry about IMO. In other words having it mounted on the handlebars that moves isn't an issue to me.

Of course a Wyn-Pro RAM-Bone is a whole lot better looking and at <$40 is pretty darn cheap to boot.
I was pretty sure that I wanted this mount because it looks good & it stays stationary. But when I sat on the bike an put the Zumo in this location it felt like I had to tilt my head too far down to look at it. So I moved it over to the left side handlebar position and it's much higher in my field of vision and I left it there. I think from a "looks" perspective the RAM-Bone mount looks the most appealing aesthetically, but at least for me it seems more user friendly & practical mouted up higher on the handlebars.

Besides if your trying to mess around with your GPS while your in the middle of curve you'd got much bigger safety issues to worry about IMO. In other words having it mounted on the handlebars that moves isn't an issue to me.
I used to have mine up on the left hand mirror , in fact your passenger can look over your shoulder and see the GPS and see what's coming up.

I have since moved it to the center (steering head stem)because it is getting kind of crowded up on the handle bar ends :rolleyes:

As for playing with your GPS in mid curve..... please don't!

I don't like to hear about accidents. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
might want to get a couple longer bolts for those lock-nuts. doesn't look lie too many threads are engaged in the "locking" part.

probable no big deal, but I like to see at least a couple threads sticking out past the end of the nut.

OK everyone - have at that last sentence to turn it into something perverted!

I was pretty sure that I wanted this mount because it looks good & it stays stationary. But when I sat on the bike an put the Zumo in this location it felt like I had to tilt my head too far down to look at it. So I moved it over to the left side handlebar position and it's much higher in my field of vision and I left it there.
This is a very valid observation. I have my GPS mounted up over the instruments on my V-strom and it makes taking a peek at the display much less of a distraction. My problem with the left handlebar mount isn't that it mioves, so much as it will come into contact woith the windshield if the shield is tipped back too far, and in the warm weather riding i like to tip that sucker way back.