Time for some new gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Looking to take a 7-10 day trip to Sturgis some time this summer (wife willing :glare: ) and it's time to upgrade a few accessories. More over, my 5 year old KBC helmet & 1st Gear mesh jacket are finally taking a dive.

Helmet:

Since '02 I've used a low quality KBC helmet which has, for the most part, served me well. Unfortunately, it has been getting louder and it dropped last summer breaking the visor's fully open stops (not to mention that it has compromised the integrity); now the visor comes right off if you lift the visor to far. I've been looking at the Scorpion EXO 400/700 series helmets, but don't have a place to try them on. I'm going today to try out a few ARAI helmets, but not sure if I want to shell out $400-$500 for one. I am looking for a quiet helmet to install my Autocom headset. I've also been told that Arai come in 3 distinct shapes (head shapes) and that they're relatively quiet. Anybody have experience with either the Scorpion or Arai helmets? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I have now begun investigating Nolan. Originally thought they were too expensive. Now they seem fairly priced. Other than weight, what are some of the drawbacks? I'll be installing the Autocom headset (from my existing helmet) into the Nolan.

Mesh Jacket:

Been using a First Gear mesh since '02 and it has served me well. However, it's a bit dated in that it does not have an inner liner. I've been looking at the Nitro Mesh Jackets and found them to be relatively comfortable. Any insights to its quality?

Thanks in advance for your insights & opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody have experience with either the Scorpion or Arai helmets? What are your thoughts?
I used to buy Shoei helmets. I didn't know I didn't have a Shoei head until I wore a Shoei all day, every day, for 5 weeks on a 12,800 mile trip. The bald spot on the top of my forehead is gone, and so are my Shoeis. A friend let my try on his XXL Arai Astral-X. It fit like a glove. It's their modified-oval shape that, now that the Astral-X is discontinued, is featured on the Vector.

I'm with you, I'm not sure a helmet needs to cost anywhere near what the Arais cost. My last one set me back $485.00. I've been looking for another maker that makes a helmet with the same shape as the Vector, with similar quality, including fit and finish, at much reduced price. I haven't found one, yet. Bottom line - I buy the Arais for the fit, not for the high cost.

Check out this thread on Scorpion helmets. It's mostly about the EXO 1000, but some commented on the 400s and 700s.

I can safely say my 1000 roars at speed and requires earplugs. It's probably not a good candidate, but the earlier models seem to be fine, at least according to the comments made.

My scorpion EXO 700 is great as far as comfort, but have to agree that it is noisy. I always wear ear plugs though.

As for mesh, just keep any eye on newenough.com. They have great deals on mesh jackets, just have to see if it is available in your size.

Check out this thread on Scorpion helmets. It's mostly about the EXO 1000, but some commented on the 400s and 700s.
I can safely say my 1000 roars at speed and requires earplugs. It's probably not a good candidate, but the earlier models seem to be fine, at least according to the comments made.

I hate mixed reviews :blink: . Now then, do I attempt the Scorpion or not? I tried on a Quantum 2 Arai helmet. Fits like a glove!!!! Although I have also begun wearing earplugs, I'd prefer not (reality tells me I won't have a choice).

Hoping to find a dealer near hear so to try the Scorpion.

Thanks for the insights.

Unless you specifically want to save money, I would go with what fits best. If you've got a $400 head, then so be it. The Scorpion happened to fit me best and have two features I wanted (breath guard and a partial closure underneath the chin).

One alternative, Cyclegear.com has a 7 day no hassle helmet return policy. You can try a Scorpion to see if you like it.

As for the earplugs, just ask any ENT doc...

FWIW, I would also add that the HJC VR-2 Legend fit almost the same as my Scorpion. You can find those on clearance for about a buck fifty.

FWIW, I would also add that the HJC VR-2 Legend fit almost the same as my Scorpion. You can find those on clearance for about a buck fifty.
Tried the VR-1 and hated it. The dealer didn't have any VR-2's yet. I'll be sure to compare.

Don't expect the AC speakers to do a good job at speed, I couldn't hear them. I took mine out & had custom earbuds made.
I've had the AC headset in my KBC and it worked swell at any speed. I did have problem hearing the MP3 player but I chop that up as a low quality MP3 player. The Verizon cell works great at any speed.

OK, I briefly researched the Nolan N102. Other than weight, are there any draw backs?

I've wanted a modular helmet, but have resisted due to noise levels; however, it seems I'll be riding with earplugs anyway, so it shouldn't matter too much.

(I still hear the autocom clearly even with earplugs...just gots to turn the volume up a bit.)

Mesh Jacket:Been using a First Gear mesh since '02 and it has served me well. However, it's a bit dated in that it does not have an inner liner. I've been looking at the Nitro Mesh Jackets and found them to be relatively comfortable. Any insights to its quality?
Can't speak for the Nitro Mesh Jacket, but last spring I bought an Olympia Airglide 2 jacket (and pants). Before I bought it, I had about six different jackets, including a summer mesh jacket, that I wore under different conditions. The Airglide has replaced them ALL! It is by far the most comfortable and most versatile jacket I have ever worn. It's comfortable at 90+ degrees and equally comfortable at 30 degrees (with the liner). Yes, it's more expensive than most mesh jackets, but it's worth every penny....IMHO.

As far as helmets, I've not been able to find anything as light, comfortable, or well-ventilated as my Shoei X-Eleven. Lot's that are quieter, though :blink:

I use the Arai Vector in a solid color and got a deal on it at my local Cycle Gear store. $299.00. Made the plunge and bought Cycle Port Gear and love the Jacket. I sent in my measurements to Wayne Boyer and I got back custom fitted riding gear with the best material known used for construction. Mesh for summer, windbreaker liner, and insullated liner for colder temps. The pants don't have the insulated liner but is unneccessary as it would be too bulky and you only need long-johns for cold temps under the windbreaker liners. I've ridden with the gear down in the mid-twenties with no heated gear or grips and was comfortable. The gear is a little bulky but once you get use to it its great. The only item on the Arai helmets is if your using a boom type device for communication, there's not a whole lot of room in front of your mouth but the helmet is light weight, better than most and noise is average. Hope this helped. PM. <>< ;)

Riding gear?

Try this:Motoport gear

Google: cycleport site:fjrforum.com will tell you what others here think,

I have the Ultra II air mesh kevlar w/ liners andmatching pants w/ liner. Crash tested for your convenience! Linked here!

I shall ever be thankful I spent the money A WFO-6 and bought this gear I had been desiring for 2 years.

Helmet?

Buy the one that fits the best, that's the one you'll be happiest with and will wear.

I have a Shoei because that's what fits and thus is what's the most quiet for me.

Helmets 101 or, Why I wear a good helmet!

I've had both Arai and Nolan, both with the Autocomm speaker setup. I currently have the Nolan N-102 flip face, and and am very happy with it. The Autocomm speakers fit well, and I am able to hear them no problem (I don't wear earplugs) with either the windshield up or down.

Something to think about when buying a helmet is colour (I'm Canadian, therefore the "u"). Mine are always white. cooler on a hot day, easier to be seen in traffic and as a bonus they tend to be the cheapest too. Check the date of manufacture (inside). Some deals are really just old helmets that have been sitting around for a while.

I've had a Shoei that gave me presuure points on my forehead, an Arai that I quite liked and probably used it for too long as it got quite loose and noisy. I tried a new Arai and it didn't fit. A new Shoei turned out to fit best this time. I suggest that just because a helmet didn't fit when you tried it a few years ago try it again might just be what you are looking for.

Something to think about when buying a helmet is colour (I'm Canadian, therefore the "u"). Mine are always white. cooler on a hot day, easier to be seen in traffic and as a bonus they tend to be the cheapest too. Check the date of manufacture (inside). Some deals are really just old helmets that have been sitting around for a while. I've had a Shoei that gave me presuure points on my forehead, an Arai that I quite liked and probably used it for too long as it got quite loose and noisy. I tried a new Arai and it didn't fit. A new Shoei turned out to fit best this time. I suggest that just because a helmet didn't fit when you tried it a few years ago try it again might just be what you are looking for.

Because I win the best dressed award wherever I go, the color (no 'u' because I'm not in Canada :) )is important. I currently have a blue helmet that almost perfectly matches the 05 FJR. It's difficult to find a plain blue (correct shade blue), so I may be looking for silver, Blue & Black. The Nolan N102 has a secret blue that looks good. A little more racy than I'd like, but not too bad. Time to go try it on.

I too have the Cycle Sport gear.

Very expensive, looks bulky when walking but fits perfect while riding.

Very stiff when new (much like leather) but relaxes with use.

Haven't crash tested yet (sooner or later I will) hope not to report anytime soon.

Probably not what you're looking for but then gear is all in your mind anyway.

You know, do I look like cool or do I look special.

Or have you put your ass down on different occasions and appreciate what truly good gear does for you.

Right know, I only know leather but I feel this may be the next best thing and is comfortable at the same time.

Good luck with your search.

GX Air jacket. Best, most versatile piece of ride gear I have ever bought. Rain liner, quilted liner, wear one or both or none.

Be smart and don't buy black mesh gear. Choose a lighter color.