Time to upgrade the Garmin 2820?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeefjr

Reaction score
Need some opinions on what is the latest & greatest GPS. I figure this winter is a good time to pick up a new GPS and learn how to create and load routes.

I just had a 2820 go into forever-reboot-mode, called Garmin and opted for a 590LM under their replacement program. I'm not sure if my case was a one-off as I've usually gotten 20% off in the past with a 2730, but for some reason they gave me one for 40% off! last week. $500-something. I did have to send them the dead 2820 to them before they'd send the new one though.

On balance I'm fairly impressed with the 590LM so far with a tinge of "why didn't they keep 2820 routing instead of this stupid sucky new way?" It seems to do 3 things better for every 1 thin worse than the 2820. Google the videos of the 590LM to do the next best thing to having one in your hand. Forum detailing pros and cons are notorious for personal subjectivity and usefulness IMO...including what I just shared. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard a number of complaints about the "new-fangled" routing thing ... some kind of learning algorithm I suppose. It probably suits leisure drivers more than it suits our specific needs to plan multi-stop rides and rallies, and I think somewhere deep in the menus is the ability to switch it off.

40% off was a great deal :)

I called Garmin when my 2820 died and they offered me a great deal on a new model because they no longer repair the street pilots. I didn't even have to send the 2820 in. I elected to get the 390LM because 1. I'm cheap, and 2. It has all the features I need.

I also traded my 2820 back in for a Zumo 585LM and also got a pretty smoking deal. They gave me back $299 for my working 2820, which I couldn't have ever sold it for that. I agree with Iggy in that for every one thing I hate about the new one there are two things that are better. I use XM radio on mine (which was another plus; as it comes included with the $100-plus XM antenna) but it is not as user friendly as my 2820 for XM Radio. You have to scroll through several screens to get to the presets where the 2820 only had one to get there. Also I have to turn on the radio each time I turn on the GPS where on the 2820 you didn't. I could on about different things but overall I like the new one just fine.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bungie" data-cid="1196797" data-time="1417738955"><p>

I'm still plugging away with my ancient 2820. Still works just fine.</p></blockquote>

Both of my bikes and my van each have their own 2610.

I keep saying I'll upgrade when one of them quits but they just keep working.

660 for 2 yrs. now. No real issues per se, however the routing at times is from a friggin' drunk guy!

Question about the routing complaints on the newer models: Is that when you attempt routing on the device? Or is it when you use Basecamp amd transfer the route to the device? What does it do exactly?

I have no complaints about my zumo 550's (I actually have two of them) but I know they will not last forever.

Question about the routing complaints on the newer models: Is that when you attempt routing on the device? Or is it when you use Basecamp amd transfer the route to the device? What does it do exactly?
I have no complaints about my zumo 550's (I actually have two of them) but I know they will not last forever.
Fred ... All the routing is done "on the device". Sure you can plan a route then load it, but you are simply loading waypoints and the device does all the routing.

The complaint about the new units is two-fold .... Some of them appear to be giving inconsistent routing, often coming up with crazy routes that no one with a brain would otherwise suggest. The other issue is one of route timing. The newer units have a feature that is supposed to "learn" from your driving history, and estimates timings based upon its own ideas. It may also adjust routes too, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Whatever, the gist of the complaint seems to be that Garmin have "fixed" something that wasn't broken.

Among the Garmin units built since they scrapped the 478 and the StreetPilot series, the Zumo 550 is the pick of the bunch. Dependable and accurate, cherish them.

Garmin doesn't support the 550 anymore either. I was going send mine to them, even had it all set up with them to do so but the next morning they e-mailed back and rescinded the offer to repair it.

There is place called gadget-fix I sent it to and they replaced the touch screen and digitizer for $80. I just sent my back up 2730 in and they did the touch screen replacement for about the same.

Garmin doesn't support the 550 anymore either. I was going send mine to them, even had it all set up with them to do so but the next morning they e-mailed back and rescinded the offer to repair it.There is place called gadget-fix I sent it to and they replaced the touch screen and digitizer for $80. I just sent my back up 2730 in and they did the touch screen replacement for about the same.
I ordered replacement digitizers a.k.a screens for my 550 and 2730 then replaced them myself. The only specialized tool was the torks bit to take the case apart. The 2730 was easier than the 550, but the Zumo wasn't that hard. I paid <$20 for the digitizers. Unfortunately the USB port on the 2730 has stopped working though the rest of the unit works just fine. As long as the Zumo hangs on I'll wait to see what future units Garmin or other GPS company comes up with.

It's not hard to find Zumos from non Garmin refurb shops.

Last edited by a moderator: