Tip-over sensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldernYZer

Reaction score
I learned something that I haven't seen in the owner's manual, or at least, so it seems. Yamaha typically employs a sensor, usually built into the ECU, that senses when the bike is tipped over and shuts the fuel delivery off. On their MX four-strokes, standing the bike back up rectifies the situation and they will start right back up. On the FJR, it appears that the ignition has to be cycled (turned off, then back on) in order to reset this feature before it will restart.

Something to keep in mind. Don't ask how I found this out.

Yup. Many of us have been there and done that. The FJR is a heavy girl, and when she wants to take a nap there is no holding her back. ;)

There used to be an affinity icon floating around to put into your signature that said "Code 30", which is the ECU fault for when the tip-over sensor has registered. There was no shortage of people with the code 30 icon.

FYI... that code stays recorded in the ECU until you go into diag mode and clear it.

At one point I was troubleshooting (what eventually turned out to be a bad wiring connection to the safety relay) under the seat on my old 1st Gen and I disassembled the tip-over sensor on the side of the road in lovely Punxsutawney, PA. Luckily it was not groundhog day, and I did not have to relive the day endlessly. It's a clever little sensor. Just a weighted pendulum that makes a set of electrical contact when straight up and down. When he bike is underway and leans over the centrifugal force of turning keeps the weight in the same up and down position, but when you lean the bike far enough that you can't hold it up for long while standing still, it's a Code 30! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Now where to put that in memory so it isn't vulnerable to delete recent I can't remember sh_t normal operating mode.

Good info. When mine was put on its side, it never quit running until minutes later (and I fully expected it to), when I shut it off, still on its side. It started normally when I got ready to leave. 2014 with minimalist R&G sliders and T-Rex bag guards.

I remember talking somebody through bypassing the lean-angle sensor when he built a Slingshot-type trike around an FJR. He mounted the steering head on the tube-frame he'd fabricated and braced the FJR frame to keep it straight in the tube frame. When he got it running he said it shut off when cornering hard and he'd have to cycle the ignition. I found the connector pins for him to jumper so the lean-angle sensor wouldn't kick in from sideways force.

And the lean angle sensor is well-described in the service manual, but alas, not in the owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped mine once. It was shut off when I got up, but I think it actually stalled. It was just about a 0 mph fall over.

I didn't get a code 30 or any kind of error warning? It started right back up.

2013A if that makes a difference.

I dropped mine once. It was shut off when I got up, but I think it actually stalled. It was just about a 0 mph fall over.
Mine was a zero MPH maneuver. One of those things who hope no one ever sees you do, but people did. Feet up, taking turns moving forward at a stop sign behind two cars. Came my turn, I cludged the clutch engagement and ran the bike into its own dead engine. Foot didn't get down in time, and there was the aforementioned "nap".
blushing.gif