Tips for new owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARKIO

Reaction score
Good Day to all:

I'm picking up a new FJR hopefully today; is there anyone out there who did the "Motorman" breakin who regretted it? From the Posts I have read the debate goes on, and I called Yamaha (Cypress) and got the answer I expected (go by the manual- we're the experts, yada-yada). None of the Posts I have found revealed anyone who actually did the Hard breakin and determined it to be a mistake.

Jim

Good Day to all:
I'm picking up a new FJR hopefully today; is there anyone out there who did the "Motorman" breakin who regretted it? From the Posts I have read the debate goes on, and I called Yamaha (Cypress) and got the answer I expected (go by the manual- we're the experts, yada-yada). None of the Posts I have found revealed anyone who actually did the Hard breakin and determined it to be a mistake.

Jim
**** the break in, get sliders :rolleyes:

**** the break in, get sliders :rolleyes:

Enjoy the ride, I would go "fairly" (not take her to red line) easy on'r for the 1st 1,500 miles, but after that... Enjoy the ride.

Most vehicles now days require very liitle break-in, eventhough manuals say otherwise.

I did a motoman breakin on my 06, its still runnin so far.

And the debate will go on and never be over!

You wanna tip? OK, here's one...

Always make sure you have toilet paper in your hand before you wipe.

I got tons more. Just let me know if I can be of further help.

Note: This is a non-FJR, post-ho'ing post and I approve this message.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the past "Grist Mill" of discussion: Motoman site:fjrforum.com

I did a modified motoman with my '04 and it ran like a sewing machine...nice and quiet.

I did not do a motoman break-in with my '05.

Its up to you what you do with something that you own.

Don't take it personally. We get hundreds of new members every year and they all have the same questions at first.

Search everything, read all that you can and ask questions after you have done your own research. That will keep most of the smart asses away except TWN.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Bruce

Always make sure you have toilet paper in your hand before you wipe.

That is useful information, but I like this one. " Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity"

Note: This is a non-FJR, post-ho'ing post and I approve this message.

Um, I did the "Motorman" breakin. Changed oil and filter at 50 miles, then again at the 600 mile reg. service. I've got nearly a grand on her now. At two grand I'm getting another oil/filter change, and at four grand I'm switching to synthetic.

No regrets here. Just got back from running her up Highway 70 towards Alamagordo, NM. Took her up to 130 mph with the Yamaha larger windshield. Very nice. No surprises. The engine sings. (The gearbox, um that's for another topic.)

Oh yeah - I'd read some good advice the other day on this board.

Check your tire pressure. Oh, and call your mom (or someone's mom). :lol:

Congrats on the new bike!

Good Day to all:

Jim
Ride like your mom would ride it the first 2000 miles, then do what you want.

I did the motorman breakin on my 07. I have 13,000 on the bike, just did 4000 mile trip to Guadalajara and bike runs like a sewing machine. I was really hesitant to do the breakin that way but it did not seem to do any harm. It runs strong and it has actually gotten much smoother after I hit the 10,000 mile mark.