Tire Changing DIY

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambone

Reaction score
You can get a cheapo tire changer from Harbor Freight and do it yourself. Most report rear tires lasting in the neighborhood of 7000-miles, so worth considering. There are better tools out there, but this will get you in the game. Someone mentioned putting plastic coating "tool dip" on the changing stand brackets to provide better holding traction. Could make a lot of difference. I'll try this next time and let you know.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

Also, here is an excellent tool for wheel balancing made by an FJR rider and forum member:

https://www.marcparnes.com/

I use the Marc Parnes balancer and it is nearly too sensitive, as he points out in his insturctions. Just don't be too anal about balancing tires, follow Marc's instructions.

Someone mentioned putting plastic coating "tool dip" on the changing stand brackets to provide better holding traction. Could make a lot of difference. I'll try this next time and let you know.
I finally used up a rear tire and tried the tool dip idea. It makes a big, big difference. Just take the 3 wheel clamps off the holder and give them 2 or 3 coats of this stuff. Plasti Dip Protects the rims and greatly increases traction.

Also get some of this stuff for tire lube as you work: Ru-Glyde

You need all the help you can get on the tight tire beads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned putting plastic coating "tool dip" on the changing stand brackets to provide better holding traction. Could make a lot of difference. I'll try this next time and let you know.
Finally used up a rear tire and tried the tool dip idea. It makes a big, big difference. Just take the 3 wheel clamps off the holder and give them 2 or 3 coats of this stuff. Plasti Dip Protects the rims and greatly increases traction.

Also get some of this stuff for tire lube as you work. You need all the help you can get on the beads: Ru-Glyde
Yambone -

Thanks for the tips. Will try the plasti dip on the HF tire changer. Will also get some of the Ru-Glyde.

Good advice. Good on ya. :clap:

Thanks, SkooterG. It was your tire changing info posted a while back on the EZ Bored that helped get me going down this road. I re-read the 'how-to' articles, employ every trick, and now I can actually make a go of it with the Harbor Freight tool. Last tire I did was relatively smooth sailing. :agent:

Many have seen this before, but here's another article that has a ton of tire changing info, with a few valid nuggets of wisdom scattered throughout:

Motorcycle Tire Changing

Can't say that I recommend a home-built tire stand, but there are other good tips in there.

Last edited by a moderator: