Tire changing equipment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cota95

RI Beach Pop
Reaction score
My son and I are seriously looking to add a tire changer to our bag of tricks and I was looking for someone in the New England area that has the equipment and wouldn't mind showing us how it's done and suggestions for type etc. We could bring a wheel and tire to change to show us. I want something that is easy to use and will not take all afternoon to do. We have dirt and street bikes so the unit must have flexability. PM me or leave a message here and we'll arrange something. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not in the neighborhood, but have been going through this process fresh myself from scratch and can offer a couple of tips from the freshly learned detail camp:

• The Harbor Freight base unit and motorcycle adapter do work and priced great at <$100.
  • The bead break does work.....although you have to realize you set the rim on the ground and push down instead of up on the jaws where one would think it makes sense. (thanks Art)
  • Also use some sood to support the rim so you don't bend the rotor(s)
  • The upper arm thingy is pretty superfluous and I don't use and the tire iron thingy is scary looking and I won't let near my rim.
  • The "Mojolever" and "Mojoblocks" are well worth the extra $150 investment.
  • Drilling holes in your concrete floor is the way to go and worth renting a hammer drilll for and getting concrete wedge bolts to hold the contraption down.
  • Napa sells the tire snot stuff in gallons. Way too much, but I'll never run out.
  • Marc Parnes balancer is quality stuff.
  • About $350 total and you're in business for changing your own tires with a bit of a learning curve.

Try this https://www.nomartirechanger.com/ Make sure you watch the videos. I was gonna buy one for myself but decided to go with the Handy table lift for my bike and take just the rims to a dealer and have him put the tires on.

I was thinking of getting a few guys to go in on the NO-Mar with me cause to make back the $1000 bucks would take a few years.

No mar is a good investment if you are doing lots of tires.

I have paid for mine by myself just since doing track days on the gixxer plus 4 tires on the feej.

If you figure cost is $600

most places charge a min of $50 per tire plus you have to buy the tire there vs SW moto Et AL. !2 changes and you are even on the investment, since you are doing it with your son and on multiple bikes the return is good for you. I have started to change tires for a handfull of folks and have prob made $150 +/- on several changes. I have figured $20 tire/ $35 set will cover consumables and my time and eventually help on the Pro rig I bought.

As word gets out I am doing more, I am not really looking to make money, but help a fellow rider out and cover my time/consumables (weights / lube etc)

Its good for folks who need a weekend or after hours change and I don't mind if they ride over. We can take the tire off here no extra fee.

you could do the same and recoup on your investment.

One guy who was short on cash washed my work truck for me, I was the winner in that transaction :)

No mar is a good investment if you are doing lots of tires.
I have paid for mine by myself just since doing track days on the gixxer plus 4 tires on the feej.

If you figure cost is $600

most places charge a min of $50 per tire plus you have to buy the tire there vs SW moto Et AL. !2 changes and you are even on the investment, since you are doing it with your son and on multiple bikes the return is good for you. I have started to change tires for a handfull of folks and have prob made $150 +/- on several changes. I have figured $20 tire/ $35 set will cover consumables and my time and eventually help on the Pro rig I bought.

As word gets out I am doing more, I am not really looking to make money, but help a fellow rider out and cover my time/consumables (weights / lube etc)

Its good for folks who need a weekend or after hours change and I don't mind if they ride over. We can take the tire off here no extra fee.

you could do the same and recoup on your investment.

One guy who was short on cash washed my work truck for me, I was the winner in that transaction :)
Did you buy the Harbor freight also? I've got a really good deal from my dealer at $20 per tire changed, with the wheel off, and no hassle as to where the tire came from! The PIA is that it's an 80 mile round trip to the shop and the time to wait for it. And that does nothing for the Sat/Sun change when you need it. Being your own master is an advantage. Just would like to see it action.

EDIT: Just re-read your post Fencer-did you get the pro rig from no-mar?

I had the harbor freight POS. It broke on my first change (bad weld).

Yes, I bought the pro rig from No mar. Its nice. Its taken several changes to get the technic down, but its easy now. Lube (in the right spots) is your friend ;)

If you buy the Reg model No-mar, you can get the travel attachment and change dirt bikes off your truck hitch while you are out

I got the Harbor Freight changer and it worked fine. I mounted a set of Avons in short order. ( It was my first time using the changer ) Silicone spray helps.

You will need to use something between the red changer and your rims. I used rags.

I also used a Mojo lever, instead of the Harbor Freight bar.

Finished it off with the Marc Parnes balancer.

Now I feel like a pro!

My brother and I just put on a new set of tires, when we require a second set this summer we are going to buy a full tire changing setup. My brother's ST eats rear tires to the tune of 4-5k miles per tire so it looks like some time around mid July we will be setting up shop.

cota 95

I put on some new Roadsmarts yesterday with my buddy's harbor frieght set up and a mojo stick and the marc parnes balancer. It took us two amatuers about two hours to complete. It worked fine but I can see where the HF setup might have a limited life span under heavy use.

I'll ask him next time I see him about visitors.

And don't forget the sportbikeeffects right angle valve stems. Very nice.

Loved your recent trip report, by the way. I'm jealous.

Cota,

I have a Nomar changer and balancer. I've changed a couple of pairs of tires on the FJR. I certainly don't find it anywhere near as easy as the video suggests, but I probably need more practice. I find that the provided long bar is rather useless and would prefer the Mojo Lever.

Drop in anytime you're in the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Charlie

Cota,
I have a Nomar changer and balancer. I've changed a couple of pairs of tires on the FJR. I certainly don't find it anywhere near as easy as the video suggests, but I probably need more practice. I find that the provided long bar is rather useless and would prefer the Mojo Lever.

Drop in anytime you're in the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Charlie
It get easier with practice. I was having trouble and asked Steve (the guy in the vid) about how to do it at the ATL bike show. He showed me in person.

The key is the lubricant. and in the right places (Odot, Thats you cue)

Bunch of woosies using tire changing machines! Hell, spoon 'em on like a man!jim
Yup :clapping:

It isn't that hard to do once you get the technique down. Why buy and store all that crap when you just need a couple spoons and a small simple Marc Parnes balancer? What are you gonna do when you are on a trip and don't have your machine and need to change a tire enroute?

bikes_1.jpg