Tire Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoham

Reaction score
Had a nail go thru the tread on the rear tire. Clean hole, wonder if I should consider repair or replace. This bike only has 1000 miles on it. I have always replaced tires that have gone flat, but with only 1000 miles I hate to put out $150 for a new one. Thought about taking the tire to someone like Les Schwab for their opinion. What does everyone here think? Also, I wonder about removing the rear wheel. Concerned about the ABS sensor. Manual makes a big deal about care for this.

There is a plug and patch combination that goes in from the inside of the tire.

Have one of those installed and keep on getting up.

I have had several of these installedon my 03 with no problems.

I had one put in saturday , in a tire with 1500 miles on it .

I have full confidence in this type of plug.

Also I usually do several burnouts on my old tires just before I have a new tire installed and on the last three tires no problems.

Jarmo

my $.02:

I just use a standard radial tire (gummy string type) plug, and ride more conservatively until i replace it. I had this type of plug on a CBR1100XX from 500 miles to about 4000 miles -- no problems.

Taking the opposing view, when I holed a tire - also a clean, right in the center of the tread - I mounted up a new one. It hurt me to do it. A real waste. then again, it's a lot better than having the tire delaminate at speed because a steel belt rotted or something similar.

This isn't a Honda 50 we ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
my $.02:
I just use a standard radial tire (gummy string type) plug, and ride more conservatively until i replace it. I had this type of plug on a CBR1100XX from 500 miles to about 4000 miles -- no problems.

Take it from the tire installer always plug patch.

Gummy plug patches are NOT going to sustain the belt pack and will dry out in time leading to leaking or PULL OUT during breaking.

but its your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a nail go thru the tread on the rear tire. Clean hole, wonder if I should consider repair or replace. This bike only has 1000 miles on it. I have always replaced tires that have gone flat, but with only 1000 miles I hate to put out $150 for a new one. Thought about taking the tire to someone like Les Schwab for their opinion. What does everyone here think? Also, I wonder about removing the rear wheel. Concerned about the ABS sensor. Manual makes a big deal about care for this.
Don't be afraid to pull the wheel because of the ABS...read the FJRTech.com writeups, piece of cake. Just make sure the ignition is off and try not to let the sensor electrode contact metal on the bike (tape and/or wrap a rag over it immediately when you pull it out). Make sure the guide marks on the caliper and the ABS rotor line up when you put it back together. Read the articles, look at the photos. Thats it, no big deal... important, but nothing even remotely difficult because of ABS.

Plugged two tires early in their lives and rode them to the end. Took a look at them at the end and I just don't think a punture is going to screw with the belt construction of modern tires. Then, I tend to use them more quickly and maybe my plugs aren't drying out.

6 of us rode from LA to Settle, rode the ferry from Victoria to Fairbanks, Alaska and rode the Alcan highway back to Seattle. Had nine flats between the 6 of us, used a mushroom plugger and rode 7057 miles in 2.5 weeks.

While I have confidence in the plugged tire, I did replace the tire when I got home.

Lets put it this way. You can do whatever you want and there will be lots of opinions on the forum.

But having the opportunity to put guys back together after bike crashes and tire failures, I ride cautious with a plugged tire, watch my speed and replace the tire as soon as possible.

Concensus is that the best type of plug is a "mushroom" patch installed from the inside. I'd ride one of those for a while- but for $150 it's worth it to get yourself a new tire as soon as reasonably possible. The thing is, with 146 HP, these bikes put a lot more stress on the rear tire than most bikes. The heavy load is another vote against relying on a plug or patch for very long. It's kind of like "when do you replace a helmet"- depends on how much you value your life.

I don't have a lot of extra funds, but in my book $150 is not a lot of money compared to a peace of mind and the possible out come if that plug/patch comes undone in a tight downhill twisty with a 500 ft. dropoff and no guardrail.....Not tryin to scare ya or nutten.... PM. <>< :eek:

Thanks for the replys. I think a repaired tire would be on my mind when I rode. I'm going to order a new tire, tomorrow.