tire irons & rim protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I've got some 6-8" tire irons and would like to get some longer ones in the 16" range. I'd also like to get a set of rim protectors. Local dealer doesn't carry either. I did the search (even using google) and didn't come up with much. TIA Ian, Iowa

Try Competition Accessories, thats where I got mine. I just looked and the 16" tire iron is 8.99$ and rim protectors , in pairs, is 4.99$.

In case you do not have their cataloge, you can call them at 1-800-543-5145 or on the net at CompetitionAccessories.com

Mac

Just a tip to save some money..... I have some rim protectors, but don't use them. I've found that a shampoo bottle (thick plastic), cut apart so you end up with long wide strips, works better than rim protectors. You can hold onto the plastic while spooning and then easily pull it out. I've had trouble getting rim protectors off.

Just a tip to save some money..... I have some rim protectors, but don't use them. I've found that a shampoo bottle (thick plastic), cut apart so you end up with long wide strips, works better than rim protectors. You can hold onto the plastic while spooning and then easily pull it out. I've had trouble getting rim protectors off.
Hate to be a PITA but any chance you could post some px of how you cut the bottles and how the peices are placed? Ian

Hate to be a PITA but any chance you could post some px of how you cut the bottles and how the peices are placed? Ian
Knife or scissors; just cut plastic bottles into squares or rectangles and place between the wheel and the tire iron/tool.

I'm not changing tires anytime soon, so can't help with "in action" pictures. C&C summed it up: I just use a utility knife to cut a rectangular shaped shampoo bottle into quarter sections (the rounded corners are not used). The end result is flat pieces of plastic that are about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long. In use, the plastic is placed inbetween the tire iron and the rim to avoid marring the rim. I like the length because it leaves a section of plastic sticking out of the tire that's easily grabbed and pulled out.

Latest posts