tire mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofjr1300

Reaction score
i have a harborfreight tire changer. it worked but it would slip occasionally even with rubber bicycle inner tube pieces over the clamps. i came up with a great idea to reduce any slips or scratches. i reversed the clamps that contact the inside of the wheel. so now the clamps push against the outside of the wheel on the narrow bead surface. not only there is much more clamping leverage, but if the wheel did slip it probably wouldn't be noticed as the wheel bead area goes in the bead indent of the tire.

Which tire changer do you have? They have a few:

https://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...r&Submit=Go

and there's a HF right down from the house.

Great tip!

i have a harborfreight tire changer. it worked but it would slip occasionally even with rubber bicycle inner tube pieces over the clamps. i came up with a great idea to reduce any slips or scratches. i reversed the clamps that contact the inside of the wheel. so now the clamps push against the outside of the wheel on the narrow bead surface. not only there is much more clamping leverage, but if the wheel did slip it probably wouldn't be noticed as the wheel bead area goes in the bead indent of the tire.

I've been resisting making this post because one can catch sooooo much crap for a cheap, yet effective solution. Many folks on this forum feel compelled to engineer things to death.

Your flip-around is a great idea and it has been shared before. Take three disposable rubber/latex gloves and slip one over each clamp. Then clamp the wheel. No scuff, no slip. Gloves last about 4-5 tire changes.

Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anybody else.

:)