Tire Order - We're Talkin Slow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm expecting too much. But I ordered a set of tires online two days ago. They shipped today. It's going to take FEDEX over a WEEK to get them here to Indiana from Arizona? What up with that?

I could have ordered from either of the other warehouse discount tire places and probably had them by tomorrow. That sucks.

So much for ordering from American MOTO. I thought they were here in the midwest. Bummer. Probably ships from the same warehouse as Southwest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of that may be that they have to go through Memphis, the FedEx hub. Realize that Memphis was in the path of Katrina a few days ago, and the entire package distribution process could be in a real mess because of Katrina. That includes UPS and DHL.

Did they actually have the tires in stock as well? If they had to order them, it would have to get to them first, then ship to you. That would also explain the longer ship time. IIRC, when I ordered my Avon's from them, it took 5-7 days as well. Just ordered them with plenty of time to spare.

Mike

It normally takes that much time for orders to get here normally from California, so I guess Arizona can be just as bad. Actually, in lieu of the devistation with Katrina that these companies can get much of anything done in a normal fashion (package delivery).

Just not happy it took two days for them to fill the order in Arizona.

And the other companies ship from distributor warehouses, not the home office. So the other companies might ship from closer locals. I think I will do better to order from a northern or eastern site next time. Perhaps if you live in the left half of the country it's not so bad. Just something to think about next time I (you) place a tire order.

So much for ordering from Southwest. Never again.
One of the reasons I used Sunnyside for my last tire order. Had it, well packaged, in 4 days (but that's from WA to CA). You always have the option of walking in to the local dealer, it's only money. The cheapest is rarely the quickest, and vice versa.

I have a guy in Atlanta that has them in stock. You could ride over here to Hooterville, I have a rear tire in stock. You could mount it, and then we could go riding... :D

Hmmmm, walked into the dealer pulled my new Pilots (at prices close to the internet retailers when you include the freight) off the shelf and will have them put on for free Saturday. Even gives me some time to buff off the release agent. :)

Did they actually have the tires in stock as well? If they had to order them, it would have to get to them first, then ship to you. That would also explain the longer ship time. IIRC, when I ordered my Avon's from them, it took 5-7 days as well. Just ordered them with plenty of time to spare.

Mike
Yeah, I don't really NEED them right now. I just want them before EOM. Not that big a deal. I'm just spoiled.

I have a guy in Atlanta that has them in stock. You could ride over here to Hooterville, I have a rear tire in stock. You could mount it, and then we could go riding... :D
If I keep posting like this, I might just catch TWN!!!

Smitty, now you know I want to change them myself. And I don't need tires as bad as you need a battery. My 'hawks only have about 2 grand on them, so I am good to go. You get your electrons in order and run on over here. We can head south and do some riding. You could peel off for Atlanta when we get into southern WV.

Besides, I really like that rear tire of mine. It's the front one that sucks.

So who was the guy in Atlanta? Atlanta cycle?

Even gives me some time to buff off the release agent. :)
I don't EVEN want to know what you mean by that! :D
I hope you're just yanking my chain, but just in case you're not...

The tires have an agent applied so that they pop out of the mold when they are done cooking. This stuff is pretty slick and has to wear off before optimum grip can be had from the tires. Otherwise if you get after fresh tires without scrubbing them in, you'll 'fall down go boom', as the 3 year old neighbor oftens says... :blink:

So, do you get some Comet and scrub it with a brush or something? I always thought the term "scrubbing in" had something to do with the road. But how do you get the sides clean without depending on traction if that's the case?

I learned 'the hard way' (a 'super spontaneous' low side leaned over in a slow turn) a few years back about mold release; now, I clean it off the tires by saturating some old rags with brake cleaner & wipe away; works great. You'll be amazed how much crap you'll clean off. Some others I know use 'goo gone' or the like. When I picked up my (then new) Feej from the dealer, I did my 'tire cleaning' in the parking lot before departing; they thought I was nuts. 'Aw, you don't haf to worry 'bout that...jus take it ez' Uh huh...maybe on YOUR bike buddy.

Tried the mail-order tire thing from Arizona Motorsports, ordered some ultra -exotic (not!) Dunlop GT-501s for my old bike. After waiting 3 months, was told 'still on backorder'; gave up, ordered locally, paid $7 more than mail order, had them in 5 days....Um, yeah...on backorder........

For the contrarian view, I've probably bought and mounted several hundred new tires in my cycling career and never bothered with this wiping-down with solvent regimen and have never had an issue. I simply take it easy for the first ten miles or so, and work over to increasing lean angles gradually. I've never understood why anyone would want to take new tires and immediately push them. Even at the track, people just take it easy for a lap or two.

The mold release agent, since it sits only on the surface of the tire, goes completely away within tens of revolution of any area of the tire. The 100 mile recommendation to take it easy is incredibly conservative. The only important thing is that you not snap it over to a new lean angle and push right away.

Using a heavy-duty solvent like brake cleaner or goo-gone on new rubber probably doesn't do anything for tire mileage either. These are clorinated solvents and Clorox is what they use at a drag strip to do burnouts that make the rubber tacky.

- Mark

So, do you get some Comet and scrub it with a brush or something? I always thought the term "scrubbing in" had something to do with the road. But how do you get the sides clean without depending on traction if that's the case?
Just take a clean ScotchBrite pad and wipe the surface for a couple of revolutions. No solvents just a little elbow grease. Course, you still don't wanna scrape hard bits on your first turn until you're sure the tires are gripping...

I just took care of my new rear Avon with a Sunday ride to North Fork. It's now ready for the Yosemite ride!