Tire repair kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've had good luck with the plug-n-go kits. i've not had to use it a lot, but when i did, it worked. i'm batting 50/50 with the sticky string kits. one plug worked fine the other leaked enough i wouldn't have trusted it to get me to help if on a trip. as it was local, it worked to get home, air back up, call the shop, air back up, and make it to the shop for a tire swap.

Pierre - I bought the mushroom plug kit and used it to repair a screw hole. Failed after ~150mi. So, I bought the sticky string kit. I have both in my sidebag. To be honest, my first choice will be to use the sticky string for my next repair. I bought both my kits at Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg, VA. MP was ~$30 and the sticky string was >$10.

EDIT: the kit Go Far's link shows is what I bought.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also purchase the sticky string kits at motocross supply sources. RockyMountainMC.com is a good online source. Like Jim said, the sticky string is definitely the way to go.

One thing I consider a must-have is a decent pair of pliers, preferably a set of those small hawkbill pliers. Most tire kits and tool kits don't have such. They are priceless for pulling the offending object out of the tire.

After a flat and when I return home, I change the tire ASAP and get the local tire dealer (who knows about racing tires) to hot patch that bad boy from the inside. It works well, holds up indefinitely and he only charges me $7 for the patch. Money well spent in my book.

I have a Air Compressor.
Need to buy a good tire repair kit, compact.

Wich one ??? :unsure:

Where ??

Thanks !
Pierre,

I put together this tire repair kit that covers all the bases....I hope! I purchased the Safety Seal kit and used a dremmel to gut out the inside of the box so I could add the pocket tire plugger kit, a stripped down air compressor, a tire gauge, a hex socket for the wheels and hopefully this should handle any emergency repair needs.

It easily fits in one of the side bags with plenty of room to spare.

m_75793477.jpg

m_77303671.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: