Tire ????s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the new EMS version of it??????

I'm aware of the reg version, just curious about the recently released "longer wearing" version

oh well....... :huh:

on the new EMS version of it??????
I'm aware of the reg version, just curious about the recently released "longer wearing" version

oh well....... :huh:
As far as I know, the Strada EMS is the only version. EMS stands for extended mileage sport. I have them, and love them.

Just put a fresh set on today. I will let you know, hope to get good grip and miles. Just pulled a set of Avons off, rear dead at 2,780..front almost dead. Both thrown into the shit box. I can only get 2,500 to 3,000 out of a rear, and around 5,000 from a front. Will see how these work, and let you know. Last rear Avon lasted 5 weeks.... My tire bill is killing me... :dribble:

Hell Smitty if you weren't going Mach III around all of those Southern Missouri and chat covered Northern Arkansas roads and rode at a more elegant (nervous) pace like me they would last longer.

Hey, I think Smitty does ride at an elegant pace. Smitty, I think the Stradas will do you a little better, but it's relative. You might get 3500 instead of 3000. :D I have 5K on my Stradas. The front still looks fresh, but the rear is only going to last a little while longer.

They have been good tires. I think I'll order another pair. Of rears. Looks like I might get a 3 to 1 ratio. Then again, maybe I better get a front and two rears.

Then I'm going to put the avons on when I sell the '04.

Smitty, SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT EM! ;)

I'm in the same boat. The Avons couldn't hack it! less than 5000 miles and both (yes both) are worn out. Wear bars on rear, scalloping on the front to the point you can feel it in the turns. Needless to say I wasn't impressed with the Avons. From what most folks are saying on this forum the Avons are the shit. Personally they are just that, Shit. Yes, I am an sudo agressive rider but not terribly. Other than the reported great customer service I believe the avons to be over hyped. I'm going to try the Pirellis next. Still searching for the right tires..........

IMO, everyone will have to establish their own data regarding mileage and performance. Your driving habits, location and associated road temperature, body weight, road surfaces, etc, etc, will all affect your claims for miles.

I've 'tested', errrr, used up 4 rear tires. Original MEZ4=7500 miles, Pilot Road=7000 miles, another MEZ4=7500 miles, Avon 46=9500 miles. Each tire saw its share of 2-up riding, great mountain twisties, hauling ass, and coarse back-roads crossing the Great Plains straight and fast, but not a lot of really hot weather driving.

I'm new enough to riding big bikes to not be the greatest judge of performance. I liked the Pilot Roads the best, but the Avon's were a very close second. The PRs wore out with a very narrow patch eating thru the wear bars. All kinds of rubber everywhere, except right down the middle. (Maybe I should have used less tire pressure than 40-lbs, but that's what I also used on the others.)

I don't like that Avons don't mark the 'light spot' on the tire, so I have to add extra weight if it doesn't line up by chance on the rim. I did like how it wore more slowly toward the end of its life, giving me a couple thousand miles to think about changing, unlike the other two brands that went 'fast' in the last 500 miles.

I just started on another Avon, winner so far by having over 20% better mileage than the others, and very, very nice performance. I might give the Pirelli Strada EMS you mentioned a try next time. If you rack up miles on this beast, there is certainly opportunity to use up tires and try them all. :cownoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the stealer put a new set on that I bought from SWmototires,com last Thursday. Have about 100 miles on, including 25 miles in light rain. Nice grip, dry or wet and excellent feedback.

The stock Metzlers lasted 4500 miles with significant cupping on the front causing headshake @ 100 mph+. Too bad the Metzlers have seperation issues, I have been using that brand for 15 years, but never again, ever :(

Have had not the least problem with my Metz Z4 tires. Original ran to 6700 miles with probably a dozen sprints to 150 mph. A fair amount of twisty riding with no chicken strips on the rear. About 400 miles into the second Z4 on the rear and need to replace the front which is still original.

Spoke with motorcycle tech about the "issues" of the MeZ4 tire. He said his opinion was that the tire was an wxcellent one, been around a while; that he thought tread separation issues were brought on by low tire pressure, keep 'em near 40psi.

Last edited:
I have 3000 miles on my set of Strattas ,, they feel great in the twisties,, quick over into the turns due to the V shape and have a super feel on the slab ,,

I am very happy with the performance and wear !!!

The only thing I like from Pirelli is their calendar!
https://tinyurl.com/alnwf

:clap: B) :wacko: :wub: :chicka: :dance: :dinamo: :drinks: :fans: :good: :hyper: :mmm: :schibby: :coolio: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Seeing the calendar makes me wish I had the actual "Extended Mileage Sport" model, if you get my drift. :p