tire wear question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackdab949

Reaction score
After my OEM tires, I got a set of Dunlop D220s.

I only got about 4,000 miles on the rear, front looks new, but probably down to 50%, can't really tell...

The wear was in the center of the tire and I use 36psi/36psi for front/back.

I decided to get the Dunlops because I wanted to practice the twisties!!! (plus they were on sale).

If I get a new rear Dunlop, what should I do (if anything) to not wear it out the same way? Higher/lower pressure? I would say 'even more twisties', but it does take a bit of time to get there ;-)

If it matters, I weight about 160 and have the suspension setup close to what sport-rider mag suggested.

Thx for any help!

I only got about 4,000 miles on the rear, front looks new, but probably down to 50%, can't really tell...

The wear was in the center of the tire and I use 36psi/36psi for front/back.

I decided to get the Dunlops because I wanted to practice the twisties!!!  (plus they were on sale).

If I get a new rear Dunlop, what should I do (if anything) to not wear it out the same way?  Higher/lower pressure?  I would say 'even more twisties', but it does take a bit of time to get there ;-)

If it matters, I weight about 160 and have the suspension setup close to what sport-rider mag suggested.

Thx for any help!
Park the bike. :p

Tire wear is inevitable. I have learned this. Ahh, I remember way back when. I was an FJR newbie. Got 10K on my OEM's. Two sets later, I'm lucky if I get 6k out of anything. If I keep riding with Smitty, I might as well cut that back to 3K. I don't ride like grandpa any more. And going through tires is FUN! Changing them isn't but toasting them is GREAT!

Most folks here admit to upping the pressure to 40ish. Don't know if that will help, but you can try it.

Ok, now move this thread to the mega discussed endless thread column. I.E. the

Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads

area, which I like to call NEPARTS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just changed the OEM Metz MEZ4 rear today. 6700 miles with about 1/16 inch tread in the center of tire. Should be able to get about 4,000 to 5,000 more out of the OEM front. Next will switch out to Avons.

I only got about 4,000 miles on the rear,
That's actually pretty good for a rear D220. Handling-wise, they are an outstanding tire.... but they are about the fasting wearing sport-touring tire you can put on the FJR. :eek:

A number of folks have cord showing by 4000 miles on the D220.... sounds like you probably have good throttle discipline.

As per WC. I only got 3200 miles out of a rear and I was riding in cool weather at moderate speeds. Had to find a tire shop in the middle of a tour. Monumental hassle. Called Dunlop and they basically said they offer no warranty on mileage and that was that - not even an offer to discount a new one.

In the same service, I'll usually get 6K+ out of a Z6, Avon, or Pilot Road. If I really thrashed on one, I think I could wear out a D220 in a matter of a few days.

They stick fine, but they're crappy sport-touring tires. I honestly doubt they last significantly longer than a D208 full sport tire.

- Mark