Tired of screwing around with that screwdriver?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, there are a bunch of us that have them, from a very special group buy not so long ago....

What are the repercussions of not using the screw...Anyone ever had their Zumo pop out of the mount? I used it for the first time on a 6 hour trip....forgot about the screw, didn't have a problem. Did I just get lucky?

Yep, there are a bunch of us that have them, from a very special group buy not so long ago....
Yep. Much, MUCH easier than that "security screw" thingamabob.

What are the repercussions of not using the screw...Anyone ever had their Zumo pop out of the mount? I used it for the first time on a 6 hour trip....forgot about the screw, didn't have a problem. Did I just get lucky?
There have been reports of the Zumo popping out of its cradle, yes. The screw is basically just insurance. With the thumb screw, it's much easier & quicker to pop the Zumo in and out of the cradle.

While people will tell you that the "security" screw was intended just for the physical security from the quick release latch popping open, I disagree. Yes, it accomplishes that, but clearly Garmin intended this as a theft security feature as well, otherwise they would not have used such an odd-ball security head screw. If it were merely for the latch not popping open, I'm pretty sure the Garmin engineers could have come up with something a bit easier to operate.

Although I seldom ride in urban areas, it would give me great anxiety leaving the zumo on an unsecured quick release mount even for a few seconds while my back is turned. These things are just too valuable, and just too easy to remove. That's why I came up with this idea

I've heard reports of it popping out but I've never had it happen to me and I've ridden over New York City potholes at ludicrous speeds. :)

Although I seldom ride in urban areas, it would give me great anxiety leaving the zumo on an unsecured quick release mount even for a few seconds while my back is turned.
I would get anxious even with a secured mount. Much too easy for a Bad Guy to at least attempt to grab/rip the entire mounting bracket off. My Zumo *never* gets left unattended. If I'm going inside, it comes with me. No point in making your bike any more tempting a target than it already is.

I would get anxious even with a secured mount. Much too easy for a Bad Guy to at least attempt to grab/rip the entire mounting bracket off. My Zumo *never* gets left unattended. If I'm going inside, it comes with me. No point in making your bike any more tempting a target than it already is.
Gunny. Thieves aren't thought of as having:

- advanced thought processes

- respect for your propoerty