Tires, angled valve stems, and smartire sensor install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I want to bring the bike in to have a new set of tires installed and I want the dealer to install the angled valve stems and the Smartire sensors while they are at it and I just wanted to know what I can expect, ballpark wise, as far as total installation cost is concerned. Barring the "do it yourself and save money" or the "labor rates vary across the country" responses, what do you think it should cost? I will be supplying the valve stems and pressure sensors and the bike is on Long Island in NY, and I will be having both front and rear tires (supplied by them) changed.

Why not just call them and ask them? You're going to get some interesting figure ranges here that won't match what they quote because it's so variable including shop rates (the amount they charge per hour) and how much they mark up tires. And it's going to vary around the country and area.

That said, for Sunnyside, WA I'd guess 1.5 to 2 hours for the tire swap if you're bringing in th ebike. I think they'd throw in the swap of the valve stems as part of that. Maybe another .5 hours for addition of the SmartTire sensors as I thought it was just installation of a big hose clamp.

In Sunnyside @ $60 and hour I'd guess $150 for labor, $222 for Avons, $20 for weights and disposal, plus tax and we're ballparking of $425. Individual Results Will Vary

Iggy, thank you, thats exactly what I was looking for. The problem that I have is that my dealer has a tendency to overquote everything....from the $730.00 YES to the $550.00 for heated grips installed. Unfortunately there is little choice around here for Yamaha dealers unless I travel 100 miles or literally go to a different state so I like to go prepared with as much information as possible so I can decide on the spot whether to let them do the work or whether to take the trip. If I know timewise how long something takes, I can just multiply it by their labor rate to get an idea of whether they are ripping me off or not. Kind of a silly concept I guess if you have a multitude of dealers to choose from. Now at $90.00/hr labor and 8.5% tax I can figure what I'm in for.....

my mechanic told me that the smartire install was a snap. tell yours not to bother with programming it though. you can do that yourself.

you might also want to have the front valve stem facing right. it's just a bit easier to air up when on the side stand.

derek

Last edited by a moderator:
Attaching the Smartire sensor takes all of 2 minutes, if you take your time and break for coffee...

Cost me $ 200.00 Cnd to install only the sensor in the tires and rebalanced the wheel.

I installed the indicator myself.

Tire change from my dealer is $17 if the wheel is off the bike.

Last edited by a moderator: