Tires at Stealership...ack...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianNKY

Reaction score
Wow, my local and not so local stealerships are crazy on tire prices.

Called about a front so I could make it down to EOM (front is pretty bad) and they wanted $153.00 for the Storm and $156.00 for the BT-021. NOT including the $36 and $52 (respectively) mounting charges.

I know I'm flexible and can bend over pretty far but that is crazy.

Now, I just need to find a sugah-daddy in the Tri-state area with tire gear who can show me how to change it myself and get them from SWMoto whose prices are $111.00 and $99. :-(

Wow, my local and not so local stealerships are crazy on tire prices.
Called about a front so I could make it down to EOM (front is pretty bad) and they wanted $153.00 for the Storm and $156.00 for the BT-021. NOT including the $36 and $52 (respectively) mounting charges.

I know I'm flexible and can bend over pretty far but that is crazy.

Now, I just need to find a sugah-daddy in the Tri-state area with tire gear who can show me how to change it myself and get them from SWMoto whose prices are $111.00 and $99. :-(

Yeah, local stealers try to stick it to us, really I think they do not want to put them on and make you pay to take there time away form other things.

At least that is what the one just told me where I bought the bike..... I can get the tires I want for 248. shipped and they wany 330 then 50 each to install....

I am really just going to have to break down and start doing this myself....

So the deal at EOM looks good......

Just slab it to EOM and get it done there.

Yamaha of louisville offers free astroglide jelly with all their sales!

Just slab it to EOM and get it done there.
Yamaha of louisville offers free astroglide jelly with all their sales!
Yeah, was thinking of doing the tire offer thing at EOM problem is I don't think my front will make it. I'm heading down Thursday so I can ride Friday so I'd have to wait until Saturday. We'll see how it goes. The rear should make it. The front is whacked.

Strange. :huh: I pay $255.00 for Storms OTD, including tire mounting and balancing. Maybe your dealer's calculator is busted or sumpin'?

(I really feel for you sucka's! :haha: )

<snip>...$153.00 for the Storm and $156.00 for the BT-021. NOT including the $36 and $52 (respectively) mounting charges.SWMoto whose prices are $111.00 and $99.
They want more money for mounting one front tire over another? (do I have that right?) If so, I wonder what the rationale is for that? % of tire cost? Whatever, sounds a little bogus -- needs some 'splainin...... :huh:

I just paid $40 each to have mine mounted/balanced. At least now I know I'm not alone paying crazy prices just to mount/balance...the last time I was in it was only $20 each and that was just last year.

<snip>...$153.00 for the Storm and $156.00 for the BT-021. NOT including the $36 and $52 (respectively) mounting charges.SWMoto whose prices are $111.00 and $99.
They want more money for mounting one front tire over another? (do I have that right?) If so, I wonder what the rationale is for that? % of tire cost? Whatever, sounds a little bogus -- needs some 'splainin...... :huh:

Yep. They do feel justified in reaming us, don't they?

After spending $473.00 for a set of PR's, mounted and NOT balanced, I invested in the necessary equipment to do it myself.

Very fast ROI at those prices.

Boy we are practically living the same life right now.

Here's my story from the Berkshires (Western Ma).

Due to my general mistrust for the dealer I bought "baby" from, I decided to go to another place nearby for a tire quote.

I walk up to the counter. "Hi, I'd like a quote for BT-021's please."

Then, they did something I've never seen before. I was astounded. After waiting 15 minutes the guy finally gets to me, and this is what happened: He opens the catalog, finds the tires and read the prices right out of the book.

"$199 for the rear, and $153 for the front. Plus $50 each for mounting, unless you buy them somewhere else, then they're $75 each for mounting."

I just stood there speechless. Now, I'm a pretty non-confrontational person, so I really don't know what to say to this doofus.

Finally, I said "wow, that's what you're charging eh?" To which he replied, "what do you want me to do?" I replied, "I don't know exactly, but I've just never had anyone 'quote' me suggested retail before." After glaring at me for a moment, he went to the obviously underused calculator and offered me the spectacular deal of approximately $400 total.

My predictable dealer qoted me $10 MORE!!! Apparently, they are so much better at installing, they can charge more.

There's another guy who is a good wrench, but a pain to get ahold of, apparently has a tire supplier issue, but said straight up that if I can get my own tires, he'll put them on for me ($30 front, $40 rear).

Sooo, I just got confirmation that I'll prob. get my new tires from swmototires.com around Wednesday for $221 (that's for the whole pair, including shipping)!

I don't want to jinx it, but I do love happy endings!

Good god!

My dealer charges $18 total for each wheel if I bring him the wheel off of the bike.

Same price if I buy the tires from them or bring in my own.

Local Yammie dealer was giving 30% off tire prices in catalog, to meet internet prices, and about $35 each for install and balance. An accessory store wanted to give 10% off list and $10 per wheel to install. Another said 10% off and free install.

I just got a NoMar. :yahoo:

"Yep. They do feel justified in reaming us, don't they?

After spending $473.00 for a set of PR's, mounted and NOT balanced, I invested in the necessary equipment to do it myself.

Very fast ROI at those prices. "

On the road in Montana, needing tires, same type of deal. $460 for two road pilot's with install. When they know they got you, they give it to you. I'll plan better next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a magic no-Mar and we can get them mounted if you can get them in time.

Tues/Wed/Thurs night. PM if you need help.

Cost for install? a 6 pack of something good, plus replace what ever weights we need :)

-MD