Tires for 2004 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco Dave

Reaction score
Looking for reccomendations on tires for FJR 1300... new owner, put 3000 miles on and rear tire is shot. Bike has battleax bt21, looking for something that gets more mileage. I've read some reviews on Dunlap road smart; considering that tire, however, reviews indicate bad choice for front but ok for rear. Mainly ride at medium to high speed on back country roads; minimal highway, 40% of time ride with passenger, not too concerned about wet weather riding, but need something that sticks in turns. Any first had reccomendations would be appreciated.

Roadsmart rear combined with Angel front seems to be favored by some, though I haven't tried that combination yet. I have used the Angel front and rear and the front is the best I have tried. The Angel rear wore out pretty quick.

The best for long miles and otherwise good tires is the Pilot Road 2 front and rear, though the PR2 front wears unevenly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a bunch of miles 13k on a set of metz z6, I thought they ran really good and deep.

I have the MPr2 on the rear and a Conti-motion on the front. I like the Conti-motion alot on the front, very impressive.

and the MPr2 seems okay; a little soft in the turns though. I am without a doubt gonna try the conti-road attack next; hopefully the road attack II will be in the U.S. by then.

Looking for reccomendations on tires for FJR 1300... new owner, put 3000 miles on and rear tire is shot. Bike has battleax bt21, looking for something that gets more mileage. I've read some reviews on Dunlap road smart; considering that tire, however, reviews indicate bad choice for front but ok for rear. Mainly ride at medium to high speed on back country roads; minimal highway, 40% of time ride with passenger, not too concerned about wet weather riding, but need something that sticks in turns. Any first had reccomendations would be appreciated.

Have an 05 and replaced the Metzlers Z's w/ BT023's. So far after a little over 3k miles I'm impressed. Solid handling solo and 2 up in both wet & dry, let's see if they last as long as they are advertised to.

I ended up getting the Dunlap roadsmart for the rear. Have about 1000 miles on it; grip and handling seem good, wear seems okay. Only problem is with 2 people on bike, rear tire feels low and squirmy on highway. Read a review motorcycle superstore of someone who put on back of harley dresser and had same problem. I assumed with FJ being lighter, it wouldn't cause the same problem. Just wanted to provide my feedback in case anyone in interested.

Make sure your tire pressures are up to about 42-44lbs.

If they are, then you need the 3Ply Sidewall type tire that won't wallow with heavy weight.

I found keeping good air pressure in tires is best for getting the mosst milage out of tires. Somedody mentioned 42-44 psi in rear . Front tire at 42 psi. It's a kinda pain in the ass to check air pressure every week but that is what you have to do to keep the pressure in that range. It really helps alot to have the metal 90 degree valve stems installed, and use a digital read out/voice activated tire guage.