Titanium exhaust pipe for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wa2fst

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a supplier out there who manufactures a titanium exhaust system for the FJR? I'm not especially looking for performance, just a lighter weight system.

Search is your friend. I typed in your question "titanium exhaust system" into the search field and got
one example of search result
Did you actually look at any of the search results? That example result is a discussion of the Holeshot full system vs. the Muzzy full system (the only full exhaust systems available for the FJR), which are both stainless steel. There's no titanium exhaust system available for the FJR. There are slip-ons with titanium/carbon fiber outer shells, but all the internals are still stainless steel.

Here's some known weights of various exhaust components:

Headers

Stock 11lbs*, or maybe 14lbs**

Stock with cats removed: 9lbs***

Holeshot: 10lbs*

Muzzy: 7lbs*** (this is a single exhaust system)

Mufflers (includes connector pipes)

Stock: 10lbs* each

Titanium Remus Hexacone: 6.5lbs* each

Muzzy: 7lbs*** each (only one is used with the full system)

Notes

* Measured by myself, by standing on a standard bathroom scale while holding the parts, then subtracting my weight.

** Reported by this independent review of the Muzzy full system. The difference in the stock header weight could be due to their bike being a Gen I vs. mine being a Gen II. Or maybe their catalytic converter had accumulated some extra weight?

*** Measured by Wicked Webby (I assume with the same procedure).

You also need to put weight savings into perspective:

- The side cases weigh about 12lbs each (just weighed them). The improvement to handling/acceleration due to weight savings of an exhaust system will be less noticeable than simply taking the side cases off.

- This is a heavy bike to begin with, so it needs a bigger diet than sport bikes to get equivalent performance gains. Assuming a 160lb rider with 30lbs of gear, you need to lose 7lbs just to get the equivalent acceleration gain as adding 1rwhp. The same weight loss on a 2009 R1 would be like gaining 1.6rwhp on the R1, which would be like gaining 2rwhp on the FJR (due to the difference in hp/weight ratios). So weight reduction is only half as effective on the FJR compared to an R1. FYI - the FJR would need 190rwhp to have the same hp/weight ratio as an R1 :)

Personally, I have the Holeshot header and Remus Hexacone slip-ons, which saves about 8lbs. The Muzzy system would save the most weight (17lbs savings!), mostly because it is a single exhaust design (which I think is quite ugly on a bike that is intended to have dual exhaust)

completed_bike_side.jpg

completed_bike_rear.jpg

Did you actually look at any of the search results?
Why, yes, I looked.

How does one find out what you know? One could look up the information for themselves or they could just wait for someone such as yourself to generously post all the information. I was simply showing how one could get the ball rolling on their own with a quick entry into the Search function and to show that two exhaust manufacturer names pop right up.

Did you actually look at any of the search results?
... I was simply showing how one could get the ball rolling on their own with a quick entry into the Search function and to show that two exhaust manufacturer names pop right up.
I guess I'm used to people suggesting searching on topics where there are lots of obvious results with clear answers. In this case, you won't find anything about a titanium exhaust system, but that's not enough to conclude that there isn't one out there.

... or they could just wait for someone such as yourself to generously post all the information.
Actually, it was more due to boredom than generosity :D