Today I left the BMW club and joined the FJR Club....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasadab

Reaction score
And I am stoked! Wrote a thread yesterday about selling my BMW R1200GS and was considering a FJR or a BMW R1200RT. Well, you folks helped me make up my mind, and I thank you! Just drove my Black "09 home, took my wife around the neighborhood, and I am real happy with the new bike. The power band and clutch are smooth and taking off and creeping slowly are easy. I split lanes coming home which I thought was a little ballsy since I was just getting used t the bike, but it felt very balanced and smooth. I have a couple of questions for you all:

1. There is a piece of gray foam kinda crammed in between the faring and the vent on the right front of the bike--that adjustable heat faring forward of the knees. The dealer said that was supposed to be there? It looks like its keeping some wiring away from the fairing, but I wasn't sure.

2. My big feet need a longer gear shifter. Suggestions.

3. Where should I add a powerlet outlet for heated jackets for my wife and I. I assume there is sufficient excess electrical capacity?

I was going to hook up my battery tender to the same outlet, unless you all have another suggestion.

4. I will eventually need to get a top case with back rest. I can research that here. My wife liked the feel of the Yamaha one, but unless I can find one at a discount, don't really want to spend that much money.

5. Aftermarket windshields is also something to research. I had a VStream on my old BMW and liked it.

Thanks for the info over the past few days. Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Congrats on the FJR and welcome to the nuthouse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the world of the FJR! I have had mine two years coming the end of Auguest and still happy with it.

I added a FZ1 fuse block to my bike to run my heated grips, Tour Master jacket and my Garmin 2730 here is a picture of the install;

DSCN1046.jpg

I have a tank bag thru fitting that comes thru the removeable pannel above the battery that I use for the battery tender and charging things in my tank bag such as cell phone and I-pod.

And I am stoked! Wrote a thread yesterday about selling my BMW R1200GS and was considering a FJR or a BMW R1200RT. Well, you folks helped me make up my mind, and I thank you! Just drove my Black "09 home, took my wife around the neighborhood, and I am real happy with the new bike. The power band and clutch are smooth and taking off and creeping slowly are easy. I split lanes coming home which I thought was a little ballsy since I was just getting used t the bike, but it felt very balanced and smooth. I have a couple of questions for you all:
1. There is a piece of gray foam kinda crammed in between the faring and the vent on the right front of the bike--that adjustable heat faring forward of the knees. The dealer said that was supposed to be there? It looks like its keeping some wiring away from the fairing, but I wasn't sure.

2. My big feet need a longer gear shifter. Suggestions.

3. Where should I add a powerlet outlet for heated jackets for my wife and I. I assume there is sufficient excess electrical capacity?

I was going to hook up my battery tender to the same outlet, unless you all have another suggestion.

4. I will eventually need to get a top case with back rest. I can research that here. My wife liked the feel of the Yamaha one, but unless I can find one at a discount, don't really want to spend that much money.

5. Aftermarket windshields is also something to research. I had a VStream on my old BMW and liked it.

Thanks for the info over the past few days. Dean
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you will love it.

All of these questions are common place here in the forum.

1. The foam is supposed to be there. It's part of the heat control system.

2. The shifter is adjustable, try that first.

3. Plenty of electrical capacity for multiple heated clothing.

If you plan to use the powerlet outlet for battery charging then it needs to be unswitched. The choice of location is a personal one. Mines on the left above the passenger's foot peg. Some put it in a panel in the farings.

4. Check for a case on ebay or the forum buy and sell. You might consider Givi as some seem to like them. I think you can get a passenger pad for them

5. There are many good sheilds and it is reported here at great length. Might require research and some trial and error. If you liked the V Stream then that might be a good place to look first.

Keep us informed on yourFarkle advenures

Congrats and welcome.

I'm using a Givi 46 case. Lots of others are using them too.

Good going and have fun.

7X

The only thing I miss from selling my BMW is the dealer network. Loved the BMW service and professionalism. The Yamaha dealers are good, but not great. The one near me, (Renton Motor Sports, near Seattle) caters mostly to dirt bikes and the just-turned-18-and-I'm-gonna-buy-a-sportbike crowd so I feel like a second class citizen when I'm in there. But big deal, I spend more time on the bike than in the dealer, so that's what matters. Enjoy the ride, welcome.

Welcome aboard. I just replaced my stock screen with a VStream and couldn't be happier. Like night and day from stock.

Here's a good location for an unswitched powerlet outlet. It's right next to the battery for minimal wiring.

tastynuts_upper_fairing.jpg

The only thing I miss from selling my BMW is the dealer network. Loved the BMW service and professionalism. The Yamaha dealers are good, but not great.
Luckily, we don't have to see them very often.

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the collective!

I have two Cee Bailey screens (winter/summer) for my Gen I and they both do well for me. Also have a Givi V46, which is generally believed to be more stable than the Yamaha box at high speeds, if you're into that sort of thing....

Welcome to the collective - resistance is futile....

I've been running a Vstream barn door for a couple of years, and it's a great addition, especially when it gets cold out. Love it on the longer rides, though.

FYI my wilfe loves the Yamaha top box, especially when droning along making miles here in the midwest. The down side is that it Will make the rear end feel unstable at (ahem) elevated speeds when riding solo. I would also recommend you check out HaulinAshe's suspension thread, it'll make a believer of you.

Lastly, I have a K-bike that has been gathering dust since I bought the FJR(In '03). Need to get that thing sold one of these days.......

You did the right thing.

I had rode my bike to work today and a friend commented on the massive amount of dead bugs, dirt and grime on it. I told him,"I ride the thing. If you ride it, it gets dirty."

Welcome to the dirty bike club.

You did the right thing.
I had rode my bike to work today and a friend commented on the massive amount of dead bugs, dirt and grime on it. I told him,"I ride the thing. If you ride it, it gets dirty."

Welcome to the dirty bike club.
I would get grins from fellow bike riders at the amount of bugs on my windshield and fairing. Till my girlfriend made me wash it!!! Booooooo!!!! lol. But it was a compromise. And worth it.
Alexi

Take a look here.

Linky

I was going to buy it, but decided my Motofizz is all I'll ever need.

Here's a good location for an unswitched powerlet outlet. It's right next to the battery for minimal wiring.
tastynuts_upper_fairing.jpg

I like that, does your knee ever hit it when a vest (or other use) is plugged in?
Only when I try to use the turn signals as highway pegs :lol:

Pay attention to that location relative to your knees next time you sit on the bike; it's pretty far away.