Tom Tom RIDER 2nd Edition announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you need to do to enjoy the new features now appears to be to move to England or somewhere in mainland Europe.

Great.

Just downloaded it and there are several new features usable outside of Europe.

Garminesque trip stats and auto switching between day/night colors are the two I immediately noticed, which really should have been included from the beginning.

Map corrections, a couple of safety preference screens, and an updated help menu are also found. Still no updated maps though :(

Thanks for the heads-up.

Does the TomTom rider come with some software like Garmin's MapSource to do route planning on the computer and then download said planned routes to the Rider GPS?

Does the TomTom rider come with some software like Garmin's MapSource to do route planning on the computer and then download said planned routes to the Rider GPS?
Not that I am aware of. Although I believe that there are programs available for the PC that will take Garmin route files and convert them into a TomTom-compatible "itinerary" file. But for us Mac owners, there ain't nothin'!

That's lame. To me the TomTom wouldn't be very useful. It would be good if you just rode somewhere and you wanted it to tell you how to get home. Other than that I wouldn't really use it on the bike. I would almost never want to take the quickest / shortest route to a destination that a GPS would give you.

If you can convert Garmin route files to a format that's compatible with the TomTom, why not at that point just get a Garmin?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a freeware program Tyre that saves Google Maps route files to TomTom itineraties (routes). Tyre will also save Google routes as gpx files for Garmin and others.

There's a freeware program Tyre that saves Google Maps route files to TomTom itineraties (routes). Tyre will also save Google routes as gpx files for Garmin and others.
I think I stumbled on that a while back. Do you know if the Tom Tom navigate the same route that you plotted out in Google Maps / Tyre when you're done or will the TomTom plot it's own route between the waypoints?

I think I stumbled on that a while back. Do you know if the Tom Tom navigate the same route that you plotted out in Google Maps / Tyre when you're done or will the TomTom plot it's own route between the waypoints?
All these devices create their own plot, but I've found Google Maps and TomTom to be nearly identical in their interpretation of roads to take between waypoints. Still, with any of them you need to create enough waypoints to make sure the program knows what you want, especially when you prefer specific back roads.

TomTom is releasing updated and new devices/software/maps across the board worldwide. Europe comes first with North America shortly thereafter. I doubt it's far off because I noticed vendors are discounting current TomTom inventory.

All these devices create their own plot, but I've found Google Maps and TomTom to be nearly identical in their interpretation of roads to take between waypoints. Still, with any of them you need to create enough waypoints to make sure the program knows what you want, especially when you prefer specific back roads.
That's what I don't understand. Why can't a program like Tyre / MapSource / RouteBuddy or whatever software application you want to run allow you to plan your route and then download the route, not just the waypoints to your GPS navigation device of choice? Why does the device only accept the waypoints and route between them with it's own calculations?

If the software on your computer and the GPS device could transfer routes instead of just waypoints then you could design the route with minimal waypoints. The latest incarnation of Google Maps is a great example of how it should work. With Google Maps the way it is today, you can just give it your start and end points and drag the route on to the roads you want it to take by "rubber banding" the route. Google Maps makes little white circles at your mouse cursor where you release the button but those are not "way points" they are just intermediate points to "shape" your route.

I realize that Garmin MapSource can do some of what I am talking about. There is a concept of shaping points in MapSource and it will work kinda like I described it if your follow very specific rules in MapSource and if you download to a Garmin GPS that knows how to handle these shaping points. The zumo for example. The problem is some of the Garmin devices don't work the same way and just see these shaping points as regular wapoints.

The problem with too few waypoints is the fact that the GPS device calculates it's own route between the points. Your software of choice may show you the route you intend to take between the waypoints you have plotted but with too few waypoints defined, it's possible that your GPS might choose a different route for you. The difference will probably be slight but there still could be a difference. Not really a big deal if your riding by yourself or even with a small group where your the only one following the GPS. The problem is that if your in a bigger group and you have more than one person leading different smaller groups, one GPS device even from the same company, could interpret the route differently and some of your riders are led one way and some of them are led another.

So the current solution for most riders is to just have more way points thereby forcing the GPS device to plot the route exactly the same way on all GPS devices. If your put enough way points into your route the GPS devices will only be able to make one logical choice between your points. The problem with too many way points though is that unless the device supports this idea of shaping points and you have plotted them just right in MapSource, then you end up with the device telling you that you have reached your destination or something to that effect every time you pass through a waypoint.

Many of the way points you plot on the map are not "destinations" but just points to shape your route to force the GPS to take the roads that you want. You don't need the device telling you that you have reached that point because it's not a point you care about.

It seems to me that this could all be solved if the software and the devices would just share the route in addition to the way points. It certainly doesn't seem like it would be that much data, it seems like it would just be textual in nature to do this and text doesn't take a lot of space in the world of computers. Many of these GPS devices now come with multiple gigabytes of storage so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm not a developer so I don't know what it would take to program something like this but it seems like the next logical step. I think it would make these devices a lot more useful to riders and a lot more user friendly.

I suspect the problem is that, while we as riders would love these features, most people (drivers) could care less about all the features we want. I suspect most people just want to get in their car, input a destination and have the GPS get them there in the quickest or easiest way possible. Look at how many great GPS devices there are on the market at low costs with advanced features that have absolutely no way of taking to a computer to download or upload data of any kind except for maybe firmware updates to the device.

Okay there's my GPS rant. It's over now, you all can return to your regularly scheduled programming.

No music, and no A2DP Bluetooth?????? Shame, shame on you!!
-BD
Dammit! I knew I must have been forgetting something. Yeah we want our GPSes to be our personal communicators with stereo Bluetooth wireless links to our helmet speaker/mic setups too!

There, is that better BD?

I suspect the problem is that, while we as riders would love these features, most people (drivers) could care less about all the features we want. I suspect most people just want to get in their car, input a destination and have the GPS get them there in the quickest or easiest way possible.
Yup, out of the zillions of commercials for GPSs I've seen not one mention of "Twisty back roads". They act as if most people would rather find silly crap like hospitals, grocery stores and restaurants...go figure.

Latest posts