Tomahawk tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimmantom

Reaction score
I saw some of these on e-bay and was wondering if any of the members have tried these tires and what their opinion are of them.

I read a review and comparison and they were rated fairly well. The cost savings was quite substantial.

If anyone has an opinoin please post.

I saw some of these on e-bay and was wondering if any of the members have tried these tires and what their opinion are of them.I read a review and comparison and they were rated fairly well. The cost savings was quite substantial.

If anyone has an opinoin please post.
If you want to put retreads on your bike, go ahead. Not me.

Had a buddy tell me when I started riding, never skimp on helmets and tires. Just shell out for a good tire, it is your lifeline to the road.

I have ridden on a set of them on my uncle's old Superhawk. Now, for what they were, they were decent. They seemed to heat up quickly and hold it well. However, pick up say a 180/55 Tomahawk and then something like a Battlax 021 or comperable tire and FEEL the weight difference. I would almost bet that it is easily a 5-7 # difference. Now to me they also LOOK a lot bigger or fatter or something like that. There was just something about them that didn't seem to see/feel right to me. But I haven't ridden on any of the new ones seeing as how I am a Bridgestone kinda guy ;) That's my .02 at least

I have ridden on a set of them on my uncle's old Superhawk. Now, for what they were, they were decent. They seemed to heat up quickly and hold it well. However, pick up say a 180/55 Tomahawk and then something like a Battlax 021 or comperable tire and FEEL the weight difference. I would almost bet that it is easily a 5-7 # difference. Now to me they also LOOK a lot bigger or fatter or something like that. There was just something about them that didn't seem to see/feel right to me. But I haven't ridden on any of the new ones seeing as how I am a Bridgestone kinda guy ;) That's my .02 at least
Thanks Thompson,That's the first reply to my question from someone with hands on experience.

I've run avons,michelins,pirelli's,& bridgestones and just wanted an opinoin by someone who might've tried them.

I knew from the reviews they were remanufactured tires but figured they might be ok because they,ve been used by some race teams.

Hey Trimmantom, How about we go 50/50 on a rear and we will send it to Haulin Ashe and let him run it through his testing process?? :mda: :mda:

JW

I tried a set on my '04 a couple years ago. They are far from perfect in all aspects. The potential for headaches is not worth the savings you might get. You want cheap tires, get the Shinko Raven 009.

I had to have a Tomahawk replaced by the factory because of flaws. The replacement was almost as bad, uneven and out of round. Sucked. Not a good value at all.

Don't have a lot of faith in retreads even for a car or truck, so I think a bike would be out of the question when we only have two tires. I'm sure any truckers out there will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe big rig operators will never put recaps on the front tires of the tractor due to the recaps not being as safe as new tires.

Ya gots a 600 lb. sycle capable of some superior acceration, braking and cornering --and ya want to try retreads, why pray tell? Especially with the tire choices available today......whatever floats yer boat though.

Hey Trimmantom, How about we go 50/50 on a rear and we will send it to Haulin Ashe and let him run it through his testing process?? :mda: :mda:
JW
OK J boy,it'll only cost us about 40 bucks each.

Ashefellow will probably burn that carcas in about a weekend I would suspect.

On second thought I'll pass on that recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a set on my '04 a couple years ago. They are far from perfect in all aspects. The potential for headaches is not worth the savings you might get. You want cheap tires, get the Shinko Raven 009.
I had to have a Tomahawk replaced by the factory because of flaws. The replacement was almost as bad, uneven and out of round. Sucked. Not a good value at all.
Thanks for your reply rocket,I just wanted to hear about hands on experience with these tires.

I've heard all I need to on these.

Ya gots a 600 lb. sycle capable of some superior acceration, braking and cornering --and ya want to try retreads, why pray tell? Especially with the tire choices available today......whatever floats yer boat though.
I just wanted to hear some opinions from some folks here that may have tried these tires and this didn't necesserrily mean I was gonna put remanufactured tires on my bike.

I appreciate your opinoin on the subject.

Don't have a lot of faith in retreads even for a car or truck, so I think a bike would be out of the question when we only have two tires. I'm sure any truckers out there will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe big rig operators will never put recaps on the front tires of the tractor due to the recaps not being as safe as new tires.
Correct! I'm not sure if it is a federal regulation, but I'm unaware of ANY company/trucker that runs recaps on the steer axle. A blowout on the steer axle of an 80,000 GVW set of doubles is a real "eye opening" experience. :dribble: BTDT.

LC