Tool Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkin

Reaction score
A friend had a professional looking "rolled up" tool kit for his bike, the package held many more tools than what comes with the bike - and fits under the seat. Does anyone have a recommendation on what tools you should have, and where I can get them?

thanks!

pumpkin

Carry as many tools as you know how (and are willing) to use...

For a couple of years I have carried something from CruzTools I think I have the Metric EconoKit M2. That and a couple of rags, some duct tape and a little luck/prayer can get you through some pretty major breakdowns. Besides, the quality of tools in the kit is one step above my buddy's son's plastic wrenches and screwdrivers.

What would I carry if I had more room?

1) decent set of metric and standard wrenches

2) couple of different size screwdrivers (damn little carb screws)

3) adjustable wrench (just in case)

4) a small spool of wire

5) a good pocketknife

6) a magnet (I have dropped screws in the grass before)

7) flares

8) flashlight (a LED crank-up one is good, no worries about dead batteries that way)

9) electrical tape

10) a full set of allen wrenches (metric and standard)

That's about all I can come up with right now. Anyone else care to add to the list? I realize on our bikes that standard wrenches and screwdrivers for carb screws are a non-issue but if I see a bike on the side of the road, I don't care who it is or what they ride, I will stop and offer assistance. You meet some really interesting people that way and hey, we can probably all use some good karma every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carry as many tools as you know how (and are willing) to use...
For a couple of years I have carried something from CruzTools I think I have the Metric EconoKit M2. That and a couple of rags, some duct tape and a little luck/prayer can get you through some pretty major breakdowns. Besides, the quality of tools in the kit is one step above my buddy's son's plastic wrenches and screwdrivers.

What would I carry if I had more room?

1) decent set of metric and standard wrenches

2) couple of different size screwdrivers (damn little carb screws)

3) adjustable wrench (just in case)

4) a small spool of wire

5) a good pocketknife

6) a magnet (I have dropped screws in the grass before)

7) flares

8) flashlight (a LED crank-up one is good, no worries about dead batteries that way)

9) electrical tape

10) a full set of allen wrenches (metric and standard)

That's about all I can come up with right now. Anyone else care to add to the list? I realize on our bikes that standard wrenches and screwdrivers for carb screws are a non-issue but if I see a bike on the side of the road, I don't care who it is or what they ride, I will stop and offer assistance. You meet some really interesting people that way and hey, we can probably all use some good karma every once in a while.
going to Home Depot today! thanks!!

spare quart of oil

spare oil filter

tire plug kit

tire pressure gauge

spare main fuses from NAPA

spare blade fuses

head lamp or clip on with cap

small 12v air compressor and way to power it

leatherman multi tool or equivalent

2oz can WD40

Prestone Fix a Flat

Ride On already in the tires

decent gasoline siphon hose

spare sunglasses and a pair of safety glasses

disposable nitrile gloves

mechanics gloves

assorted wire ties

Good list above. I also carry small motorcycle jumper cables, tie wraps, tire pressure gauge with a good string plug kit, and a cut down walmart tire pump. Also spare fuses.

I would carry a copy of how to pull codes. On a long solo tour, I carry the manual, a very small multimeter and a jumper wire for troubleshooting.

This maybe a stretch, but on very long tours in open country like going to Alaska, I want tire irons and a patch-plug like they use on cars(and fix it flat), just in case a string doesn't work. The rear bead can be broken with the side stand. The tire irons will probably damage the rim, but in an emergency..... On my last trip to Alaska, I had to change a tire myself and I carried the rear tire home with me as a spare.

This is not a tool, but I also carry a spare oil filter on tour. At 4000 miles in western CO last summer, I went to Walmart and purchased oil and a drain pan. They recycle oil, so 20 mins later, I wheeled the shopping car back to the automotive car area and let them have the oil, filter, and drain pan. Better than going to the dealer time and cost wise. You will need a filter wrench or channel locks.

Ride On already in the tires
I have "Ride On" balancer/flat preventor in my bike tires which is a superior product (don't ever use Slime or Fix A Flat unless last resort) - Prestone is the best canned fix a flat product which uses no latex but is effective.

Slime is actually corrossive to aluminum rims and "chunks up" and is difficult to impossible to clean out when it's tire change time. Ride On is water soluable, so the tire technician just has to hose it out at tire change time.

Ride on:

Feejer takes 9oz rear tire and 7oz front tire per Ride On chart, so 2 8oz bottles just makes it

https://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp testimonials

https://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp info

https://www.ride-on.com/pdf/Motorcycle_Kit.pdf doseage tables for all bikes

https://tinyurl.com/d5neha can purchase on ebay if you wish instead from factory

course MHO, YMMV

I bought this great Proxxon set: german made, and has most of what I need and is reasonably small. Carry in the sidebag. Supplemented with other stuff.

122.jpg

The kit contains the socket range of 4 - 13 mm. Screwdriver inserts with square drive for flat, Philips, Torx and Allen sockets. Five Allen keys 1.25 - 1.5 - 2.0 - 2.5 and 3 mm.

Cost was $60 (and they were local to me in Seattle: bestrestproducts.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're stripping down a tool set to carry, what are the most used or useful socket/allen sizes to carry?
most common sockets are 10, 12, 13, 14 mm - also next common is 8, 17 mm

then allens would be 4mm for panel screws, and for me, my sliders/TOG (tipover guards) need 5mm

also agree on jumper cables and maybe a large crescent (adjustable) wrench; can't see pulling a wheel, but I guess could be needed some day (can always fix ya watch with it :blink: )

I also carry a Cruz Tools multi tool, Outback'r M14, in addidion to the metric Econokit H1 but would now get the Roadtech H3

I can't add to the items already listed, but one thing I did was replace each of the "tools" in the OEM tool kit with quality tools of the exact same sizes. Beyond this, it boils down to how much space do you want to tie up with tools that you might never use. For me it's the fully charged cell phone, air guage, tire plugs and pump, "factory" tool kit, leatherman and duct tape. In 50 years of riding, flat tires have caused me the most unplanned stops.

OBD