Tool less Fork preload adjusters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyWiz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if bolt on adjusters are made for a Gen 1?

I searched but didn't find anything.

I am hoping to adjust preload in the forks without needing a tool to do so. When adding a rider, I just want to crank and go.

Thanks and sorry if this was already covered.

Does anyone know if bolt on adjusters are made for a Gen 1?

I searched but didn't find anything.

I am hoping to adjust preload in the forks without needing a tool to do so. When adding a rider, I just want to crank and go.

Thanks and sorry if this was already covered.
The front shock preload on the Gen I only needs a standard metric open end wrench that comes in the bikes tool kit under your seat. It can be changed in minutes. It's all covered in the basic bike manual (I forget what page). Stock setting is 4 rings showing. The rear shock can be adjusted by hand in seconds as well once it's on the center stand.

I know but I just want to be able to turn the adjustment on the forks without having to grab a tool. I've seen them on many other bikes. I was hoping for something similar for an FJR.

I have a Wilburs with remote for the rear.

I know but I just want to be able to turn the adjustment on the forks without having to grab a tool. I've seen them on many other bikes. I was hoping for something similar for an FJR.

I have a Wilburs with remote for the rear.

Sounds like you need one a dem BMdubyas that changes suspension on the fly. :D

If you are stopped, how long really does it take to pull out the tool kit and have at the adjustment? I bet no time flat.

looks like those adjusters still need an allyn key too

must be like them instant tea making machines you can buy. how much easier does making tea have to get?

:lol:

looks like those adjusters still need an allyn key too
The allen key and grub screws are simply for installing those knobs onto the pre-load adjusters. Once installed, you just grab and twist with your hand.

Hey KennyWiz I was just wondering if you are loading the front of your bike to change the sag enough to matter?

A quick zip-tie experiment in the garage with my daughter shows no change in front sag with her on or off the bike. I will grant you she only weighs 130lbs but you get the idea. I'm sure her weight comes into play while moving especially braking but that would be more about valving/damping than spring weight/preload.

Just my 2 cents.