Top / Adapter Plates for a Givi Monokey Top Case?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcycl

Reaction score
I am wanting to purchase the Givi E55 Maxia 3 Deluxe top case and have the following toprack and adapter plate:

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack (Yamaha FJR1300, '06-)

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (GIVI / Kappa Monokey)

Will the above two toprack items work with a Monokey Top Case? TwistedThrottle's explanation is a little lacking as far as plates for Monolink vs. Monokey.

And, from a few posts on this forum, it appears the Givi SR357 Givi Topcase Rack (Yamaha FJR1300, '06-) toprack will provide me more stability? Does that mean, since it installs directly to the subframe, is the ideal or better toprack to use over what I already have? I have NO interest in spending another $140, but if I will in a heartbeat if it means I have a more substantial and better setup so there will be no worries, etc.

Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the Givi SR357 It replaces the grab rails with aluminum tubing beefing up the subframe to support the added weight and stress on the subframe.

I removed my PCA rack which is for sale HERE which I used with the E55 and switched to the GIVI set up due to the other posts regarding subframe cracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your initial question, yes, the adapter plate secures to the Alu-Rack and as long as your working with a MonoKEY system, you're fine. MonoLOCK and MonoKEY systems are NOT interchangeable. The difference is just how each attaches to it's specific mounting surface.

Like Scotty mentioned, the SR357 is a far more stout set up. The only issue I have with mine is when I went to install a Givi back pad on the V46. The case is positioned too closely to the pillion and the pad puts her into a forward leaning position so she's had to do without the pad since I made the change. I'm still trying to decide how to mitigate that issue.

To answer your initial question, yes, the adapter plate secures to the Alu-Rack and as long as your working with a MonoKEY system, you're fine. MonoLOCK and MonoKEY systems are NOT interchangeable. The difference is just how each attaches to it's specific mounting surface.

Like Scotty mentioned, the SR357 is a far more stout set up. The only issue I have with mine is when I went to install a Givi back pad on the V46. The case is positioned too closely to the pillion and the pad puts her into a forward leaning position so she's had to do without the pad since I made the change. I'm still trying to decide how to mitigate that issue.

When I set mine up years ago, I ran into the same problem. Toecutter, who was active then had made a thin steel plate that moved the trunk back 3 inches. It hasn't been off of the bike since.

Your parts listed are correct and if you don't load the trunk down with crazy stuff, it will be fine. I am running one now and have on several different bikes in the past that all supposedly had problems also... But, they are overloaded IMO. I put the things I want to get to on a regular basis during my trip in my trunk and then have the other stuff down low! I like the SW stuff because with the 1/4 turn of three screws, I can put on the soft luggage adapter and strap a bag or whatever down to the back if it's too big to go anywhere else!

Since switching from the PCA rack to the GIVI, I notice my boot catching the E55 trunk when I throw the leg over which never occurred with the PCA rack. So without a doubt the GIVI mount places the trunk further forward.

If pillion real estate is not a concern and you don'tt mind the look of the SR357, the SR357 is sturdier than the other plates that mount to existing tail. (i.e. SW Motech, PCA, GIVI E228). If you need mounting flexibility the PCA rack has 2 mounting positions. Both of which give your pillion more back seat room when compared to the SR357.

We are going to go with what we have right now. We'll play around with the weight of expected contents, etc. and see if we are pushing the limits of the max load that is specified. If we get even close, I'm going to buy the SR357 and sell m other top plate/adapter.