Top box for 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quebec FJR

Reaction score
Debating to buy Yamaha Top Box or GIVI. Would like to receive comments on which one you prefer and is it easy to take off since I will only putting it on when riding 2up

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

Try here: Clicky It's one of dozens of threads discussing Top Boxes. You'll see differing opinions, but I believe Givi is the most popular for many reasons, including easy on/off.

I bought my V46 and mounting plate from Premier: PCA Link Duane is the owner. Great guy; call him before you buy.

James,

The Yamaha box is smaller than the Givi V46, which is what I have. The Givi will fit 2 full face helmets and have a little room to spare for gloves, wallet, pocketbook, etc. It is easy to take on/off.

I got the SW-Moto Tech rack with the Givi Monokey adapter plate. The rack gets bolted to the FJR luggage rack and the adapter plate has 3 quarter turn screws that come on/off in seconds. I got the set up from twistedthrottle.com. Great guys to work with and they are quick to ship.

Rob

Ive been dwelling on same issue for two weeks, yamaha bag IMHO looks better, but at approx $680(with a discount for all 3 pcs.) just too expensive for me. Do not like the looks of mounting bracket for givi (sr357) which would stay on all the time. anyway found decent looking bracket (aluminum plate) at twistedthrottle that works with givi for 124., also lets u keep stock grab handles. with this setup u still need another plate that comes with v46. as u have guessed i went with the v46 (approx 230) I only use rear bag when better half on board which is rare. (in more ways than one) . also the v46 does give u more sorage space than yami bag.

I like the factory box, because it IS the factory box, and is made for the bike. I don't notice much drag from the thing, although it does change the back pressure. The Yamaha box also has a backrest, but the case sits a little too far back to be comfortably 'leaned' onto, all the time - not really designed for that much constant stress, either (in my opinion). It does provide security for those pillions who want something behind them, however. It will hold a single helmet with a few other items, or a lot of groceries, and it does match the bike.

Debating to buy Yamaha Top Box or GIVI. Would like to receive comments on which one you prefer and is it easy to take off since I will only putting it on when riding 2up
I'm giving serious consideration to:

https://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBro...ID:100000346517

or

https://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0014603/c-10111

A friend of mine has the second one on his V-strom and it looks GREAT. Another friend has a Givi on her Pacific Coast and the JCW seems to come off as easy as the Givi.

I ordered the GIVI 52 (waiting, as it is on back order) for $600, shipped, including mounting bracket and back rest pad for pillon. Had one on my C-10 and can't wait for the new one. I think that it comes down personal choice. (looks, function, oem vs aftermarket)

Greg