top Box / Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttley

Reaction score
I have just bought an08 model in australia, and have been informed by a few friends who own FJR that the new models are suffering from broken mounts on the top boxes . I just want to hear if anyone has had this problem and what was done to fix it before i out lay a lot of money for something i could lose at slightly above highway speeds.

I have just bought an08 model in australia, and have been informed by a few friends who own FJR that the new models are suffering from broken mounts on the top boxes . I just want to hear if anyone has had this problem and what was done to fix it before i out lay a lot of money for something i could lose at slightly above highway speeds.
There were some broken top box mounts last year. Yamaha fixed them. i don't know if they redesigned the rack for 2008.

Before you spend on the Yamaha and mount take a lok at the various racks offered by forum members here. They are superior to the Yamaha rack in every way. Also, consider one of the Givi boxes, or other aftermarket. There is already a lot of information about who likes which rack and which top box and it's worth reading the posts before spending your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Yamaha box is oddly shaped, has very thick walls reducing actual volume, and it's taller, narrower shape reduces its usefulness as well. All that, and it would be the most expensive and ugliest of the many choices.

Givi is about the most popular, and there's Shad, as well.

Yeah, if you install one....add a tow rope about five feet long for when you loose it. Just wrap the rope around the box to where you mount the rope to the frame. You'll know when you lose the top box....and you'll keep your personable items along the way.

I can recommend the Givi E52 and its mount from Premiere Cycle. My sole caveat is to avoid the Givi brake light package; the connectors are, shall we say, "non-robust" (I had several and was continually kludging connectors from ball point pen springs). A better alternative, if additional lighting is appealing to you, is the Admore range of lighting options for the Givi case. Search the forum for lots of good stuff including pics on both the case (and its mounting) and the pros and cons of lighting options. Excellent help there.

Yes, the Yamaha top case is expensive and smaller than some after-markets but it matches the bike perfectly in color, shape, keys, etc. I used it on a trip last April (2,000 miles) and it worked flawlessly. I did have the recall issue performed by the dealer before any long-term usage. Just my 2 cents worth. jevers

Yep, there was a recall on the top box, but would have thought it was fixed for 08. Honestly, I can't remember when the recall on those were. Maybe the 08's were part of the recall. Anyhow, your dealer should be able to tell you if the recall was done on it. Guess since you haven't bought one yet, you'll get the redesigned unit.

I've had mine for 3 years and have not had any issues with it, before nor after the recall. Styling is each one's personnal preference. It is true that the Givi units hold more and I have wished that my Yammie box had more room. But, like any other storage area, you'll pack it no matter how much room you have. For me, the looks of the Yamaha box was more appealing and the matching key deal is nice, but the Givi Units are okay too. Again, personal preference. I think either would look on the Black 08's.

Good luck on your choice.

Smoke

Plug this into Google and happy reading: site:fjrforum.com crack topbox -subframe

An '08 should have been after the problem and if yours is an early '08 it is a recall that Yama pays for, at least in the USA.

I ordered a Yamaha top box for my '08 when I got the bike in March of '08 but recenty sold it to a forum member. The "fix" was a metal plate that was to be affixed to the bottom of the topbox with very strong double faced 3M type tape. The bottoms of the topboxes were developing cracks at best, and breaking at worse. The plate was to reinforce the bottom of the box. Here is a picture of mine. Notice the shiny metal on the bottom of the box. When I recieved my bow from Yamaha, the plate was already affixed to the box.

DSC00804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can recommend the Givi E52 and its mount from Premiere Cycle. My sole caveat is to avoid the Givi brake light package; the connectors are, shall we say, "non-robust" (I had several and was continually kludging connectors from ball point pen springs). A better alternative, if additional lighting is appealing to you, is the Admore range of lighting options for the Givi case. Search the forum for lots of good stuff including pics on both the case (and its mounting) and the pros and cons of lighting options. Excellent help there.
I went this exact route and have been very happy with the Givi. As I ride daily to work (well, maybe not every day this winter) the box volume is great for everything I need.