Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simo

Reaction score
I have just ordered a 2013 FJR from the dealer.

I wanted to get a top box supplied also. I was going to order the Yamaha Genuine 39 Litre Touring Top Box. However, I thought I would just check on this forum if that is the way to go. I have read that they don't recommend putting the top box on when the side panniers are fitted. This seems a bit strange.

Any advice on what to buy would be appreciated.

That's just yamaha legalize, Simo. Everybody here who has one uses the top truck with the side bags with no problem. Enjoy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Givi and Shad are the bigger brands. There's other options too. Unless you have them custom painted they won't match the bike the way the stock one will, but will be more usable and likely cost less.

Here's my Shad SH50

2012-08-16104009.jpg

2012-08-23164251.jpg

2012-08-23164316.jpg

I use a Shad mounting system on Pelican cases. I have two Pelican cases. A small one for local rides and a large one (1600 cases at 45 liters) for long trips. All of this cost about $100 less than a Shad or Givi. The Pelican cases are tough and water proof.

One thing to consider is the nifty LED lighting available from Admore for the Givi case. Not sure if there is lighting available for the Shad. Pretty sure there's no lighting available for the Yamaha case.

Like noted prior, legalize from Yamaha, many of us have hit terminal velocity with side cases and top box in tow with no adverse effects. Regarding brand, Givi gets my vote due to size and lighting options, but get black. Last bike I had, I got red to match and then sold the bike to get my Blue FJR. Had to peddle the red Givi and start all over again. After seeing a Gen I painted black got me thinking..... and my top box already matches, another good reason to get black.

Interesting that you refer to it as 39 liters. That is probably more accurate than the claimed 50 liters. It might have an external displacement of 50 liters, but it's small inside. I have one of these on my '13 and I somewhat regret it. I will likely wind up mounting a Givi.

Arguments for Givi monokey: If you choose a neutral color you can move it from bike to bike. And swap between smaller and larger boxes if you want.

There are options for external LED lighting such that you could likely have auxiliary tail/brake/turn signals mounted on any bag you choose, albeit with perhaps a cosmetic compromise.

Lots of threads on this topic already, but I'll just add that for me lighting on a top case is key. I rigged up my Givi V47 with running and brake lights. Turns it into something that greatly increases the light profile on the tail end instead of a dark area that further darkens the already small basic lights on the tail end. Looks pretty darn good too, IMHO.

After living with both current GIVI and OEM, I wouldn't bother with the OEM top case again. Granted, OEM matches the bike but the usable capacity and lighting options makes the GIVI a winner. Have the V46 Tech Case with Admore lighting and it rocks!

Good luck with the search!

--G

Thanks guys for your advice. I thought that statement from Yamaha not using the top box with the panniers was legal B....S.

I will certainly have a look at the aftermarket cases you suggest - it seems the way to go.

I use the Yamaha top box because I got a good deal on it and wanted the color match. I put the real time industries reflective decals on the back and have been told they help visibilty tremendously. I only use it when traveling and I really want the extra capacity it gives me.That said, if I came across a similar deal on Givi I would strongly consider going that route. I like the available lighting that can be easily added. One thing I wish could be more easily done would be to add power inside the top box for charging devices. The new Triumph Trophy has a set up like that where as soon as the top box is secured to the rack it has power nside.

Lots of threads on this topic already, but I'll just add that for me lighting on a top case is key. I rigged up my Givi V47 with running and brake lights. Turns it into something that greatly increases the light profile on the tail end instead of a dark area that further darkens the already small basic lights on the tail end. Looks pretty darn good too, IMHO.
I added an 11-LED light bar to the mounting plate I use with my Pelican case, and it does make a huge difference in visibility. It has running and brake lights, and is mounted at just the right height to get the attention of the drivers behind me.

I also have the OEM top box. It works well for me when I need the extra space for travelling. The biggest downfall that can relay to anyone is the comfort level for my passenger. My wife does not like the way the pad pushes her forward and the placement of it just doesn't work well for her. If you do alot of two up riding, try to find someone who already has which every box you are looking for and see if you can test out the seating.

"My wife does not like the way the pad pushes her forward and the placement of it just doesn't work well for her. "

I have the Givi e52 and it's great but we had the same issue. Fortunately I did not actually attach the pad before having my wife sit back against it. She knew immediately that it pushed her too far forward. But without the pad it's just right.

For storage it's great and really comes in handy.

Assuming your passenger wears a back-padded jacket the top case pads just seem redundant. Are there people out there riding on the back of FJRs in their cut-off shorts, wife-beaters, and flip-flops? Wait... don't answer that!
no2.gif

Assuming your passenger wears a back-padded jacket the top case pads just seem redundant. Are there people out there riding on the back of FJRs in their cut-off shorts, wife-beaters, and flip-flops? Wait... don't answer that!
no2.gif
Yes, except for the flip flops. Those are stupid on a bike because upshifts hurt like all hell. Crocks are where it's at for proper riding shoes.
biggrin.png

Oh wait, I have an AE, flip flops it is.
biggrin.png

regarding the top box and why yamaha recomend you not ride with the top boxand panniers on at the same time , is that you get alot of bufferting with both on at the same time ( at high speed ) , when i took my top box off for the first time it felt like a different bike , it realy does make a big differnce

Latest posts