Top Gun Light Brackets on a Gen 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
Is anyone using Top gun light brackets on a Gen 2? I am trying to put on a set, and they seem to thick to allow for the nuts to grab on the bolts from the mirrors. As a matter of fact, I started to strip the end of the bolts on one of the mirrors trying to get them started. I would have thought that by taking the stock "Pad" out I would have all kinds of room, but that doesn't seem the be the case.

Thoughts? HELP!?!

Is anyone using Top gun light brackets on a Gen 2? I am trying to put on a set, and they seem to thick to allow for the nuts to grab on the bolts from the mirrors. As a matter of fact, I started to strip the end of the bolts on one of the mirrors trying to get them started. I would have thought that by taking the stock "Pad" out I would have all kinds of room, but that doesn't seem the be the case.
Thoughts? HELP!?!
Trigger,

Sorry I don't have them..

dremel??

WW

How about a pic of how far you got. I'm interested in this, so want to see what the problem is. Since I haven't ever done it before, I'm only guessing that I understand where the problem is.

Trigger, did you say you removed the metal spacers/sleeves? I know i had to remove those suckers when i was fitting the Skyway light brackets.

No, I did not remove the spacer sleeves. That sounds like it might be the ticket. I removed the Rubber gasket that is stock between the body panel, and the mirror. Once you removed the sleeves, were you able to keep the gasket on?

The brackets are drilled large enough to fit over the spacer sleeves, but they seem to still be keeping the bracket from seating all the way.

How do you take them out?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK that sounds like the problem I had too, than. Not only did the bolts not quite fit, but the setup looked off. As for how to take them out, i did this over a year ago so don't quite recall, just stick a suitable size screwdriver to angle the spacer, that's about all I can remember, sorry.

I did stick some electrical insulation tape on the underside of the brackets to prevent any paint damage, since without the spacers the brackets sit totally flush.

Thanks. Hopefully I will get a chance to work on it a little more over the next few days.

Working on the FJR is such a love hate thing. I Love finding out more of how the bike is put together, but it is such a pain in the ass.

I figured out what the problem was.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Top Gun brackets were defective, but they did not fit over the bolt sleeves that they are supposed to hang on. I seems like they were drilled to the EXACT outside diameter of the sleeves, but then when they were powder coated the finish filled in the hole.

I cleaned out the holes on the brackets with a drill bit, and tapped the brackets into place on the bike before putting the mirrors on and tightening everything down. They fit great, and seem to be rock solid.

Sorry, no pictures. I forgot to grab my camera before going out to the shop, and since I am in a real time crunch to get the work done, I didn't want to take the time to go back for the camera.

Ya know, yer avitar is so fitting at a time like this T...

:haha: :blum:

:jester:

Sk-k-k-k-koot-t-t-t-ter Guh-guh-guh-G!
drooling_homer.gif
Thought I'd help ya oot a bit Howie..

:jester: