top-gun shelf w/ zumo?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZZZzz

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 04 FJR and this winter (still here in MN.) I finally got myself a Garmin Zumo 550. Has anyone out there have mounted a Zumo on a Top Gun shelf?

Does it need another 90* bracket to mount it to the shelf? Can the stock windshield be tilted all the way down without it hitting the Zumo? I know about the stem-mount option, thanks, but I would think the GPS would be visually better to keep it within my eye sight, plus with me needing reading glasses for my 1st 24", I would be better at seeing it on a shelf than closer between the handlebars. Pictures would be appreciated...

ZZzzz

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a TechMount and know that there are a few people who mount GPS units on a shelf. But I wonder how convenient it is. While riding, isn't it a bit of an uncomfortable stretch to reach the GPS?

My 2720 is mounted on a Top Gun shelf. i used the Garmin motorcycle mount and a small tech-mount that was designed for the threaded hole in the clutch lever bracket. The tech mount makes it a lot more adjustable for angle and exact position. If I need to press the screen more than a few clicks I'll normally pull over or wait until I stop for some other reason. I don't like to take my focus off of the road for more than a half second at a time.

I use a TechMount and know that there are a few people who mount GPS units on a shelf. But I wonder how convenient it is. While riding, isn't it a bit of an uncomfortable stretch to reach the GPS?

What, you got short arms or sumpthin? :blink:

trex.jpg

Check out a couple of photos here: https://biodsl.smugmug.com/gallery/6511030_...413672380_hRbJs

I used a RAM mount bolted to the shelf with a medium arm that bolts right to the back of the supplied zumo motorcycle mount. The arm gets it close enough that the reach to the unit is no big deal. I really enjoy having the zumo right below my line of sight; your eyes hardly leave the road to see it. Three years and 50K miles without an issue. I have a Cee Bailey 2+2 windshield and lowering it all the way will bump the gps. A longer arm would solve this as well as move the unit even closer to you, but I'm not sure of the addition length would cause it to start bouncing or moving around too much. I've just gotten used to have the shield ever so slighly raised.

Thanks "Biodsl" I see the ball mount you used... I suppose after I get a "top gun" shelf, I can experiment with different idea's till it works for my needs. I temporarily mounted my zumo on the right handlebar with a one of those ball mounts that bolts to the two bolts just left of the kill switch. It is out of the way of the speedo and tac, but it is a bit to close for me to see well....

At least today I got the Zumo wires lengthened, soldiered, shrink wrapped and back to my Blue Sea fuse panel beneath my rear seat. When I get a shelf, I'll move it over and up front.

I least I got my FJR out of storage, washed, ridden, and wired. Let spring begin!!!!!

ZZzzz

Check out a couple of photos here: https://biodsl.smugmug.com/gallery/6511030_...413672380_hRbJsI used a RAM mount bolted to the shelf with a medium arm that bolts right to the back of the supplied zumo motorcycle mount. The arm gets it close enough that the reach to the unit is no big deal. I really enjoy having the zumo right below my line of sight; your eyes hardly leave the road to see it. Three years and 50K miles without an issue. I have a Cee Bailey 2+2 windshield and lowering it all the way will bump the gps. A longer arm would solve this as well as move the unit even closer to you, but I'm not sure of the addition length would cause it to start bouncing or moving around too much. I've just gotten used to have the shield ever so slighly raised.

Quite a "cockpit"... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I assume that the camera angle shown below is actually a bit higher than your normal point of view, so that you can still see the top of the speedo, right?

But, what's the box on the left handlebar with the big red button? Missle launcher? :unsure: And the hole? Is that for Mr Jingles? :lol:

415357378_LXMTq-M.jpg

I assume that the camera angle shown below is actually a bit higher than your normal point of view, so that you can still see the top of the speedo, right?

With the GPS just below eye level you don't really need to see the speedometer. Speed can be displayed on the GPS, and is more accurate than the speedometer anyway. You do need to remember to look down into the cluster once in a while to check the fuel gauge. I almost got caught by that a couple of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that the camera angle shown below is actually a bit higher than your normal point of view, so that you can still see the top of the speedo, right? But, what's the box on the left handlebar with the big red button? Missle launcher? :unsure: And the hole? Is that for Mr Jingles? :lol:
415357378_LXMTq-M.jpg
You're correct Fred; it is the camera angle and when sitting on the bike I can still see the speedo. The red switch is for the pump on my fuel cell. I've since relocated it and removed the BLM switch box.

Now you've gone and done it!

I've been thinking about using a shelf but I hate the thought of putting my AutoComm up there (Just too many darn cables and plug-ins).....thinking..thinking..thinking... :blink: :unsure: