Top Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh C

Reaction score
I am looking at adding the factory Top Trunk to my 07 AE model. I heard that it may cause some airflow/wind issues? Is this true, are they manageable? Is it better for 2 up riding?

My goal is to have a top trunk with seat rest for my wife on trips, but then remove the top trunk for local riding. Is there such thing a s quick release trunk, or will it be a big ordeal to take the trunk off?

Would love to hear from any of you top trunk riders out there.

The popular top boxes for forum members are the Yamaha, the Givi V46, and the Givi E52. There are others but those three are the most popular. All three that I named are quick release and good quality. There is a lot of information and opinion on them in various threads so you have some reading to do if you want to do the research.

Personally, I have a Givi V46, and if I were to do it over I would buy the bigger E52 instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the stock Yami topbox because I think it looks better than the Givi offerings. I only put mine on when I have a passenger because I don't want to worry about losing them. It comes off in seconds and I throw it on the shelf in the garage.

I haven't noticed any instability with the trunk installed, but I also haven't gone over 100mph where people have reported some minor instability. And apparantly the instability is not a problem when a passenger is onboard.

I also have a Givi V46 and it is a great top case and is stable to 120mph which is my current max.

I also got the mounting plate and attachments from Premier Cycle Accessories which provides a great carrying spot for camping gear or other items. Their attachments provide for a lower mounting profile as compared to the Givi brackets.

I just did a 4,600 mile trip to Big Bend NP and it was GREAT to have the carrying capacity.

I have the Yami Top Trunk and it spends most of its time on the shelf in the garage. It takes seconds to install or remove and looks good on the bike. I've had complaints from passengers that it makes them sit up too straight though. You'll never find me back there so no problem. I know that people love there Givis and you'll deff save a few bucks going that route.

I have the Yami it literally takes 15 seconds to take on and off. I think it looks better than others and haven't had any issues with stability. I only leave it on for trips with the girlfriend but the side storage is plenty for a trip by myself.

Because I just bought the bike used (2006), I think I read somewhere about a recall for the mounting of the box... is this true?

I have the Yami it literally takes 15 seconds to take on and off. I think it looks better than others and haven't had any issues with stability. I only leave it on for trips with the girlfriend but the side storage is plenty for a trip by myself.
Because I just bought the bike used (2006), I think I read somewhere about a recall for the mounting of the box... is this true?

Yeah, recall was because of the bottom mounting plate being plastic or something. I never got the old truck, but the dealer made a big deal over making sure that the new one had a metal base plate. Must have been for this reason.

The Yamaha truck looks great and works great. My wife loves the backrest. I have not noticed any instability problems myself, but I also do not go at too excessive speeds. Take care!

+1 on the Givi V46. Takes all of 2 seconds to detach. I originally went with the Yami box, but got tired of waiting for the mounting plate. Yami kept telling me it was shipped last week. Dealer told me it should be in tomorrow. After 2 months i gave up and got my money back. Very happy with the Givi. Great room for storage, commuting, trips. tested mine to 110 mph.

I have a Givi V460 Monokey mounted to a Givi tubular rack for the FJR. I've been very pleased with it.

I have the Yamaha top box and wish it was the Givi 52. I hate to use it if the wife is not with we at 70 on a windy day it effects the handling of the bike big time. I like the looks just hate the handling factor. Plus wife says it pushes her to far forward.

Latest posts