Topbox Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYRider

Reaction score
Just brought home a new 08 FJR and need your advice. What do you think of the quality and functionality of the Yamaha topbox and how does it effect the handling dynamics of the bike. Will it handle two fullface helmets? How is it for capacity? My alternative is the GIVI Maxia 52 liter box similiar to what I had on my ST 1300 a few years back. Really like the Givi quality and mounting system but do not like how high it sits on the bike and the overall apprearance. Looks like about a $150 difference in price. Would be interested in your impressions.

IMO....buy the Givi.

The issue is space management and I'm not sure that 2 helmets will fit in the Yamaha case.

Givi: flatter and wider.

OEM: taller and closer front-to-back.

That being said, their are owners who are satisfied with each.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am almost positive that the Yamaha box sits about as high as the Givi. From what I understand, the answer to your question is no on the Yam box, on the 2 helmet thing. Pretty sure that the Maxia will fit 2, though.

There is some handling change but you've got to be going pretty fast to feel significant changes in handling. Something that you get used to, I suppose. Same thing with putting a large windshield on. You feel a little difference but you get used to it.

Personally, I like the Givi cases. I like the way the rack allows tie down points & think that it looks pretty good on the bike. The utility of a top box is WELL WORTH whatever it makes the bike look like IMO.

Good luck man, Heidi

168309d1217430444-check-out-top-case-fz6-img_4424.jpg

Hmm, two veterans of the site didn’t tell you to do a search. It must be friendly week around here after NAFO.

Try goggling “site:fjrforum.com top box” I found tons of historical data here when I was researching.

I ended up with the Givi 52 and couldn’t be happier.

I have the Yama top box for my '06. It is a very high quality piece. However, it's adverse effect on the bikes handling at speed is pronounced and therefore I only use it two-up or without the side bags.

I don't know this for a fact but I feel that the shape of the GIVI might reduce this effect.

I have the Yam box and it's good for a single helmet, rainsuit, and some other stuff. Good for a laptop in a Targus bag. Definitely NOT good for 2 helmets.

The Yam bag is good, but if I had your choice I'd go Givi and get the optional brake light.

Why not the 46 liter, rathe than the 52?

I love the Givi V46 on my FJR.

With the new PCA Topbox mount & kit: clicky1 Clicky2 it sits lower than before.

These pics are before I added the new PCA kit; the box now sits 1/2 inch lower:

DSC00004-1.jpg

DSC00007-4-1-1.jpg

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

If that's too tall for your tastes, the Givi E360 may suit you better.

Givi 52. Looks better, is bigger, and were I bought mine, the price difference is LARGER than 150.00.

You can opt for a Non Givi mount that will also "lower" the mounted height.

My mount was 160.00 ish and the box was 300.00 plus some paint match and some clear coat and I have what looks to be a stock trunk, but it looks good ( same color as bike and not as tall as Yamaha box ) and is bigger, and has a brake light. There no comparison IMO.

I'll just keep beating my drum: SHAD!. The only thing I have different from Builder Bob's setup is an FJR specific mount for the Gen II's, no clamps. Less than $300 for the case, mounting hardware, tailight kit, and backrest pad.

Hmm, two veterans of the site didn’t tell you to do a search. It must be friendly week around here after NAFO.
Try goggling “site:fjrforum.com top box” I found tons of historical data here when I was researching.

I ended up with the Givi 52 and couldn’t be happier.
I don't normally give new members the "blanket party/do the search" answer. BUT, if I were to do so, I'd at least give them a link like the following from Google:

top case site:fjrforum.com

At least then they might learn to do the search without suffering the negative comments. :rolleyes:

I bought the Givi E52. It will handle two helmets the Yamaha box won't. It sits low if you get the kit from Premier Cycle Accessories. I got mine painted to match the black cherry after seeing Webby pics. Picking it up tomorrow. I can get an awful lot of stuff in stuff in and I have had it up to 110 without incident.

John