Topbox Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divenride

Reaction score
Just a quick question....borrowed a Yamaha topbox from a friend....Am I correct that you have to drill 2 holes thru the top of the rear fender to mount it?

TIA

Divenride

that is a true story. when you drill the holes be carefull as they are not straight down. look under the tail section and you will find the threaded holes to line up on.

thanks guys ...I will probably just force my girlfriend to take less clothes rather than drilling holes......also saw where someone used giant zip ties to the rear bracket....I did try a search on the topic "topbox" and came up empty handed....finally just started scrolling thru the parts and accessories forum...

thanks again

Divenride

Funny.... I have some of the biggest Zip Ties I have ever seen in my life...

like about 4ft long and 1/2 inch wide... Im gunna use them on King Kong when I pull his ass over for Drunk Driving.... :)

Heheheheh just pee in the pants funny.... :)

yep ... commomly used in the a/c biz to secure flex duct.....about a buck each....I use them frequently.

No need to drill holes!

04fjr mounted his without drilling.

Simply got bolts and bent them 90 degrees to go under stock rack. Not sure it he pult felt, or some other padding between bolts and stock rack.

There may be some concern that the stock rack isn't strong enough...but he hasn't had a problem...and you still go to the frame with the 3rd bolt that is already there for the stock rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys ...I will probably just force my girlfriend to take less clothes rather than drilling holes
Less clothes, drill holes? sounds good to me. :D

I had the same concern, But Smitty did it for me with his master skills and looks great.

Dont let a couple holes scare you away from mounting the trunk. I love mine! (thenks Radman ;) )

Focus on the operator- BORROWED from a friend If he drills holes, then when this trip is over, he'll have these two holes in his bodywork...
Opps, Um... ok, I didnt read it that close! :huh:

Providing you have the Yamaha mounting plate, You can use the 3rd screw to hold it for a temp fix. I did this until i could get it done right. You should have no problems as long as you keep the FeeJeR out of warp drive :p

drill holes or not, I would go for the GF brings less clothes or smaller clothes option!

Spike

Drill holes to a common size 3/4 7/8ths, what ever. Buy plastic plugs to insert after you remove case. It won't look bad, two plugs. It's under rack, not that visible.

Drill holes to a common size 3/4 7/8ths, what ever. Buy plastic plugs to insert after you remove case. It won't look bad, two plugs. It's under rack, not that visible.

drill holes or not, I would go for the GF brings less clothes or smaller clothes option!
plus1.gif
Better- I made mine get her own bike.

"Honey, I'll wait for you at the gas stop, m'kay?"

thanks guys ...I will probably just force my girlfriend to take less clothes rather than drilling holes
I bet that riding naked would save even more space and weight. And with today's high gas prices, passengers need to do their part! :D