Topcase cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mferriter

Occasionally trying to get work done
Reaction score
I want to remove the cover from my Yamaha topcase (trunk) to have it painted. This does not seem to be quite as easliy done a the saddlebags where you can just drill out the pop-rivets.

The hinge pin also seems to be flared out at both ends to prevent it from being removed.

Has anyone successfully remove the cover to their topcase and willing to share some info?

Thanks.

I tried removing the top cover from my Gen-I topcase to paint it. I wound up painting the lid while still attached. Like you, I never found a reasonable way to disassemble the two pieces.

Sorry!

Apparently the hinge is screwed on using torx screws before the black plastic liner is glued (?) into place. You can see the screws but there is only about 1/2" of clearance between them and the liner - no enough to get a tool in there to back them out.

Looks like I'll be drilling hole through the liner right above the head of each screw to get them out. I could cut through the screws from the side, but wouldn't be able to get the new fasteners in there without additional access. I've already pulled the gasket out to prevent drilling through that.

Unless anyone has a better idea.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems easier to mask it off as Mr. HA did. It would be just your luck that in addition to the screws, the end of the hinge plate has a folded lip on it, so it STILL wouldn't come out without destroying the liner.