Topcase mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
Just using Givi as an example.

So, I need the case. I need the Givi plate, AND then I need another plate to attach the Givi plate? That makes so damn little sense.

Either correct me if I'm wrong on this or explain to me why the hell I have to buy two plates. Explaining meaning why Givi and/or Yammy can't build something that just bolts to the ass end of my bike and we can move on. The need for two plates, seeing that Givi's is universal and these secondary plates are bike specific is just utterly retarded.

So I guess I blame Yammy for not somehow designing the ass end to just accept the Givi plate and box.

That's an extra $100 at LEAST I now have to spend that I could put in to ANYTHING else.

Just using Givi as an example.
So, I need the case. I need the Givi plate, AND then I need another plate to attach the Givi plate? That makes so damn little sense.

Either correct me if I'm wrong on this or explain to me why the hell I have to buy two plates. Explaining meaning why Givi and/or Yammy can't build something that just bolts to the ass end of my bike and we can move on. The need for two plates, seeing that Givi's is universal and these secondary plates are bike specific is just utterly retarded.

So I guess I blame Yammy for not somehow designing the ass end to just accept the Givi plate and box.

That's an extra $100 at LEAST I now have to spend that I could put in to ANYTHING else.

yep had to buy the givi mounting system to mount the 52 on my 05, even thought it is not the best looking mount, I like the case. don't leave home with out it, now i can leave home with out the side bags

So you needed the mounting bracket (is this the one with the black pipes mounted under the seat?, and then the plate/bag?

If it matters, I have an 06.

Just to add to the confusion here, I'll give everyone a glimpse of our new Givi specfic rack for the 06. This is designed to hold any of the Givi universal plates, but is the identical size and shape of the Givi E250 universal plate which holds the popular V46 and E52 boxes. The rack mounts to the FJR tail using the three bolts. This is significantly different then our standard luggage rack in size and in shape. The picture below shows the new unfinished Givi rack laid on top our standard rack. You'll notice it has slots for bungee cords so you still use this as a luggage rack for smaller items. A helmet can be strapped down on this rack as well as a small bag. It is designed to accept our standard backrest also. This rack will be ready to ship next week and sells for $150.00. Let me know if your interested.

givirackcomparison.jpg

Which brings us back to "DOH!". That being why can't Yammy just put a plate on and save us $150 :)

OHFJR. Right now I'm on the fence on the rack or just backrest thing and you're only making it worse!

Oh, and how 'bout a pic of that plate mounted, even minus the powder coating?

I must be missing something. I don't think it's that confusing.

Each bike is different, so you need to convert between the bike and the "givi-standard" that the case itself uses. For the FJR, this is the (single) SR346 kit, for other bikes it would be something different. Are you asking that Yamaha make a plate which matches some other vendors (Givi's) cases? Or that Givi's cases match a particular motorcycle's (Yami FJR) standard rack?

Or, (more than likely) am I completely missing the point you're making. ;)

I have a new V46 on order (with the new Cobalt Blue Lid) and the E250 universal mount as well as one of OHFJR's new rack.

I hope to get it all in the next couple of weeks and will post photos of how it all goes together and looks. Stay tuned.....

Which brings us back to "DOH!". That being why can't Yammy just put a plate on and save us $150 :)
OHFJR. Right now I'm on the fence on the rack or just backrest thing and you're only making it worse!

Oh, and how 'bout a pic of that plate mounted, even minus the powder coating?

Pics should be up on my vendor thread next week!

I must be missing something. I don't think it's that confusing.
Each bike is different, so you need to convert between the bike and the "givi-standard" that the case itself uses. For the FJR, this is the (single) SR346 kit, for other bikes it would be something different. Are you asking that Yamaha make a plate which matches some other vendors (Givi's) cases? Or that Givi's cases match a particular motorcycle's (Yami FJR) standard rack?

Or, (more than likely) am I completely missing the point you're making. ;)
Ok, that rack is something I didn't know about before. I don't mind the tubes hanging out so much.

So if I buy the SR 357 (for the 06) all I need is the top case? I don't need some other stupid plate?

I ask because this is my cost breakdown as I see it:

OHFJR plate: $150

E250 plate $60

Case $250

Backrest (for case $60) (for OHFJR Rack $150)

TOTAL: $520/ $610

SR357 $130

Case $250

Backrest for just case $60

TOTAL: $450

If I need the SR357 and the Givi plate, then this whole deal is just a wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you buy the 357 rack mount, that is all you need.

You only need the Universal mount plate if you aren't going to go with the 357 mount.

I am going with the OHFJR rack and Universal plate in hopes that it won't look as hideous as the 357 mount.

SR357 $130Case $250

Backrest for just case $60

TOTAL: $450
That should be all you need, unless you want the top rack (screws on the top of the case to provide more places to bungy/strap things) or the stop-light or something else. I'd also recomend not getting the backrest until you (or your pillion) try it without the backrest. I've never installed mine, you need to screw into the case, and if your pillion wears a jacket (esp. if it has a back support/armor) you really don't (IMO) need the backrest.

In other words, you should be able to buy only the SR357 and then whichever case you want.

The backrest is a must have according to my pillion. I used two 3/8" nylon spacers in the back two holes bewteen the plate and the rack. Moves the backrest back about a half inch, which is perfect for the missus and her jacket.

I went with the official mount because the universal doesn't seem as secure on the FJR. YMMV

My 2 cents.

AI got the E52, mount, backrest and luggage rack for $425 (I think) from Gary @ University.

About a month ago I received my Yamaha Touring Trunk, Rear Trunk Attachment Kit, and Backrest Pad for my '06 Cobalt Blue FJR from;

Gary McCoy at University Motors

888-551-6478

[email protected]

Also, Gary kicked everyone else's ass as far as pricing and is a pleasure to deal with. He beat the Yamaha list by over $125.00

Gary's Pricing:

aba-2d261-30-00 = trunk mount = 90.68

5jw-w0754-60-00 = 06 trunk = 494.50

5jw-w0772-00-00 = back pad = 82.73

shipping via ups = 8.00

Total Cost = 675.91

I am quite pleased with the ease of installation (except for having to get two longer screws for the top of the backrest) and the ability to remove the trunk in the same fashion as the saddle bags. I know there are cheaper ways to go but this box is a perfect match and holds enough when needed along with the other bags. My main reason for getting this was to have a backrest for my daughter or wife to ride with me and if they aren't with me and I don't want it on it takes a second to remove it. You can also bungee items to the adapter plate when not using the trunk without worrying about scratching the paint. I am fed up waiting for a good looking after market backrest and probably would have paid close to 3 or 4 hundred for one anyway. If Yamaha was smart they would manufacture a simple backrest without the trunk that could also mount to this plate giving us even more options. Maybe even a smaller version of this trunk that was interchangeable on the plate. Hell they even warn us not to use all three items at once. Wouldn't something a little smaller like Corbin's painted glove box be nice??? Hey Japan are you listening!!!!!

Hmmm... well seeing I have about a $500 limit on the bag and mounting HW, the Yammy bag may be out of the question. $175 buys me more goodies, like rain gear, riding pants, whatever.

I may break down. $675 for the whole shebang isn't terrible.

Hey Jimbo and 'Stock, how tall are your pillions? That'll help me decide on the backrest.

Both my daughter & wife are about 5'9". My daughter says the backrest is fine but finds the seat a little uncomfortable. I'll get her a gel pad for now like i'm using. I just feel that although it was "pricey" it went on without any modifications to the the bike like removing the existing grabrails and looks great. I really am hoping that Yamaha (or someone) starts making other box and backrest options that mount to the same plate giving us more flexibility based on the type of ride or trip we might be taking. Since all the boxes mount to all the plates this would be the next logical step. Also, I'm not familiar with the process for removing the Givi box in case you don't need it that day for some reason but the Yamaha comes off as easy as the side cases. This is also very helpful when cleaning!!! With the mounting plate empty I was considering using the National Cycle storage pod (see link below) on the plate for holding smaller items that don't fit im my already stuffed tank bag.

https://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/n...ch_model=ym-076

FYI, here are my costs for the Givi V46 with color matched top cover and OHFJR rack.

Givi V46 $215

Cobalt Blue Color Matched top plate $60

Givi Universal E250 mounting plate $60

New smaller OHFJR Rack $160

Total damages: $495

I will post photos once I get all the stuff and install it.

I bought the Givi clone case from JC Whitney and just got OHFJR's rack yesterday. Below is the price breakdown...

OHFJR rack 186.00

JCW case (large) 79.00 (includes mount ,pad, and shipping)

Total 265.00

Case looks to be around a 46cl (I compared it to a E460 I had on my 04)

I will have to drill 2 holes in the rack to line up with mount

Hey Jimbo and 'Stock, how tall are your pillions? That'll help me decide on the backrest.
5'10" with looong legs. I went with the Givi for a several reasons ... mounts more securely than the Yamaha (no movement against the pillions back even on bumpy roads, price, capacity (if some is good ... more is better ), and it doesn't push forward as much as the Yamaha. I've also not noted any handling problems, which I presume to be related to the curvier shape of the Givi. I wasn't thrilled with the add-on look of the Givi, but this is one case (pardon the pun) where function is the primary concern. The look has grown on me though, and now I rather like it.

Wife still isn't completey comfy, which I attribute to the seat. I posted elsewhere that due to the goofy rise on the back of the FJR pillion seat, wifeys hip sockets are rotating forward, which pushes her forward a bit and puts her knees at an odd angle. Significant comfort could be gained by having a proper seat back there that allows for a more natural pelvic angle when seated. Russell or Mayer here we come!