Topcase Pictures?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1183

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I am itchin' to install a topcase on my '05....and from the Parts and Accessories thread, I am really leaning to a Givi Topcase....but from a picture I saw, the V46 looks pretty damn big.

Can anyone help a newbie and post some pics of their topcases and let me know what they are? Any help is appreciated. I don't know if I really need a big bastard trunk, but then again...riding 2-up you can never have enough room. Additional pictures of the V46 are also welcome.

Thanks for your help everyone! :drinks:

Josh from MN

P7310043.jpg

P7310044.jpg

The Yam OE topbox looks huge but is small inside, only big enough to take one helmet.

IanS - I'm at work but will try - try - and post some pictures tonight. The V46 is pretty big - but it grows on you. IMHO the size is more than compensated for by its utility. Jim

P7310043.jpg

P7310044.jpg

The Yam OE topbox looks huge but is small inside, only big enough to take one helmet.
Is the Givi E52 too large for the FJR?

I already have one for my Silver GL1800 and I am hoping to use it interchangeably between the bikes when I get the FJR next May.

Best Regards,

Shane

Here's a pic of mine on an '05.

Topcase%2010-18-05_1603.jpg

Hey, what is there a reason for blocking out the license plate? I’m just curious if I should be doing the same when posting pics.

Yo, Gun, is that the E52 or V46?

Nevermind...I downloaded the pic, blew it up and saw it's the V46.

That's is truly a sweet looking match for the FJR.

I hope the Cerulean Silver V46 matches my '04 as well as Givi matched your '05.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my SHAD 42. No drilling and uses the OEM rack (10 minute install). I went with the matte finish because it is my primary used luggage and I don’t have to worry about scratches. They make others with reflectors, brake lights, color matched and passenger rests too. Cost is much cheaper than Givi or the Yam top box.

IMG_0011b.jpg

Has anyone tried the Shad SH32 case on the FJR?

I am mainly looking for a backrest for the wife & a place to stow her helmet. Looks like a good match styling wise & not to expensive.

This is my V46 on the adapted rack (PM for details if interested) to move the box back and make the backrest pad comfortable. Definitely not too big looking and very functional (holds both our helmets). I've seen 'em with the 52 liter case and it looks nice as well. Hope this helps...

IMG_0605.jpg

I love the look of that V46 and will probably choose it over the E52.

Toecutter, I'm familiar with your rack adapter plate and will order one as well, but was wondering, looking at the side profile, the backrest pad looks like it would hit the pillion somewhere between the small of the back and the area between the shoulder blades.

Does your usual passenger find it placed awkwardly or is it comfortable?

And would it be safe to assume that is your usual passenger in your avatar? If so, who's the ugly bastage she's standing next to? :)

BTW, do you find you use the wire top-rack on the top of the box. or is it superfluous expense you now wish you hadn't invested?

Does your usual passenger find it placed awkwardly or is it comfortable?
My usual passenger finds it very comfortable, to the point where she has caught herself dozing off on long straight stretches.

Glad I don't do that. :eek:

And would it be safe to assume that is your usual passenger in your avatar?  If so, who's the ugly bastage she's standing next to?  :)
That would be her usual bedmate (at least when I'm not at work), myself.

Pssst, don't tell her how ugly I am. She's still in blissful blindness.

BTW, do you find you use the wire top-rack on the top of the box. or is itsuperfluous expense you now wish you hadn't invested?
I haven't used it yet, but definitely will when we end up doing overnight campouts to hold our tent and bedding.

I figure it doesn't hinder my fuel economy, so why take it off?

I used the original cover to drill through, and now wish I hadn't bought the matching-color one that sits in the box in my garage.

BTW, do you find you use the wire top-rack on the top of the box. or is it superfluous expense you now wish you hadn't invested?
I find that I use it to sit my helmet on while I'm packing / unpacking, my soft luggage and /or side bags. It generally offers me a good, secure place (unless the wind is realy crazy) to rest my lid w/out fear of it taking a plunge.

As far as using it to strap stuff too....Hmmm. Come to think of it, I've NEVER done that. I would if I had a need, but I've never had a need.

Yamaha topcase - before Corbin seat back rest there were two pillion complaints:

1) lack of lower back support

2) when a bump was encountered, topcase was accelerated into my wife's back and hurt her! Corbin seat with backrest solved this.

my topcase:

DSC01833.jpg

and from the front:

DSC02096.jpg

Without some kind of back support, wife was afraid of falling off the back as once when I "got on it" her feet left the pegs and she felt she was about to fall off backward. That would have sucked and left a mark (even with riding gear on as it always is)

OrangevaleFJR,

Is that a Foggy you're using in that pic?

What seat and backrest is that? I didn't realize I'd be able to use the backrest with the topcase installed. My wife would like that.

OrangevaleFJR,
Is that a Foggy you're using in that pic?

What seat and backrest is that? I didn't realize I'd be able to use the backrest with the topcase installed. My wife would like that.
Foggy? Not sure what that is.

Topcase is Yamaha.

Seat is a Corbin Close with leather and we like it but I'm fairly sure we may try the Russell some day.