Torque Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulie

Reaction score
My shop manual is taking its sweet time showing up at my dealer's shop, so I can't look up the torque values for the engine mount bolts. I'm installing the Motovation Sliders. I did a search and came up with 45 Nm, but the posts also raised some disturbing questions.

One post suggested using anti-sieze, and claimed that one would have to reduce the necessary torque to 25 Nm (??). However the mounting instructions that come with the sliders advocate using LocTite and torquing to the spec from the manual. I'd appreciate any advice to help sort this out. Is it 45 Nm? Should I use LocTite? Does that change the specification? Where are we on the anti-sieze question (seems weird to me)?

Thanks.

Paulie the torque dummy.

Go for the torque values listed whether or not you use Loctite. Be careful not to exceed the torque values as there have been lots of stories here of stripped threads, whether in the bolts or in whatever is receiving the bolt. Not pretty if it's the oil drain plug.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth to use Loctite on something that is supposed to come off frequently, like the rear axle, but you can. You just have to "crack" the Loctite and then it'll come off normally. Generally, use the medium strength blue Loctite (aka 242) unless you know for sure that you won't be taking something off for many, many years. If you use the red high strength stuff, you'll have to use a torch to get it off.

Without question USE loctite on these bolts, torque them and check them. I did not use loctite and one of the frame slider came off in a corner at very high speed I was lucky to live I spent a month in the hospital and it was 18 months before I was back on 2 wheels so take it from a guy who has 1st hand experience, LOCTITE is a good thing.

Paulie,

First, add Rickster's Bin O' Facts to your Browser Favorites: Clicky.

Per that compilation of collective forum wisdom, 35 ft-lbs left-side-then-right is correct.

LocTite is good.

The project is done. I did use LocTite and torqued to 32 ft/lbs. Marked the bolts so I can check for backing out. I'll watch and see how that works. Interestingly, I did check bin-o-facts and found those values different than the shop manual, and different than other advice I received. Most advised reducing the torque value where LocTite is applied. There are just so many "facts" 'roun heah to keep track of . . .

The project is done. I did use LocTite and torqued to 32 ft/lbs. Marked the bolts so I can check for backing out. I'll watch and see how that works. Interestingly, I did check bin-o-facts and found those values different than the shop manual, and different than other advice I received. Most advised reducing the torque value where LocTite is applied. There are just so many "facts" 'roun heah to keep track of . . .
Was there a reason you went with Motivation USA vs T-Rex (cheaper)? I'm curious because this is my next mod.

Thanks.

I was lucky - I found the bolt 1/2 out on a preride inspection. It was not initially installed with locktite - it is now.

I did use LocTite and torqued to 32 ft/lbs. Marked the bolts so I can check for backing out. I'll watch and see how that works.
Thanks for doing the research. My first farkle (used bike) took me about 20 minutes with your help.

For future knowledge, the factory bolts are 10mm allens. My left side was already loctited, while the right was not.

I spent 3 hours riding through nice twisties, after letting the blue loctite cure for only 20 minutes. They didn't back out at all.

I was fortunate enough to barely save it from a tip-over last night in the garage :blink: . Needless to say, the sliders went on first thing this morning!

Latest posts