Torque Wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Would appreciate a recommendation on a torque wrench for the lower values, say 0 - 30 ftlb[. After stripping the one bolt on my crankcase cover, I'd like a more accurate torque wrench at the lower setting. Have searched the net and haven't found much. Not looking for the $1,788 wrench used in assembling nuclear power plants, just a decent wrench for around $100 give or take.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this digital one from Sears with $60 off as a Craftsman Club member. It's 10-100ft lbs and converts to Nm's as well as in. lbs. with BIG numbers. That now gives me a total of 4 torque wrenches...can't have too many tools!

https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...Torque+Wrenches

"For the professional mechanic or the serious do it yourselfer, this ultimate torque wrench features strain gauge technology for 2% clockwise and 3% counterclockwise accuracy. Features large LCD display, color coded LEDs indicate when to slow torque application. Easy push-button operation to select units of measurement. Rubberized ergonomic handle. Adjusts from 10 to 100 ft. lbs., 120 to 1,200 in. lbs. and 13.6 to 135.6 Newton-meters. Includes storage case. (Batteries not included.)"

NYPete

Craftsman, period, but I'm biased from years of use. Avoid dial/pop style torques as you can sometimes get a false pop if you don't apply force smoothly (the jerking can trigger the pop despite not truly being at the desired torque at the bolt head). You have to pay more attention to a readout style and my dad and I will forever disagree on this, but as long as the tolerance/error spec is within 3-5% at most, I still say readout is the way to go.

Sadly, as with all brands, more and more Craftsman gear is farmed out to the land of nickle-a-day wages, but they still stick by their lifetime warranty on hand tools, and as long as that stays and their stuff doesn't suck, I'm sticking with them.

Jim,

I own one of these (up until a few years ago Precision Instruments made Snap On's torque wrenches), got one off from Ebay for around $120. It's more expensive than the sears wrench (on sale) but I think it's worth it. The Sears wrench does not have a lifetime warranty BTW, very few torque wrenches do.

The split beam style has some advantages over the other clicker types, you do not need to set it back to zero and it doesn't need to be "warmed up", which is important to me since my garage gets in the 50's in the winter. The problem I have with clicker torque wrenches is that they don't always click, and then stripped bolt(voice of experience). Ionbeam had a post some time back on practicing with clicker wrenches to get that positive click. It's for that reason I bought this wrench (which is also a clicker wrench), it seem to have a more positive feel, I have not had any problems with it not clicking for me. 'Course that's kinda like a butt dyno...

EDIT: Well maybe if I had read your post I would have realized you wanted a 0-30lb wrench. Me too. ;)

....but they (Craftsman) still stick by their lifetime warranty on hand tools, and as long as that stays and their stuff doesn't suck, I'm sticking with them.
i tried taking them up on the warranty, but iirc, torque wrenches were excluded...

my guess actual enforcement is up to the individual sales person...

ymmv

but they still stick by their lifetime warranty on hand tools
You better read that warranty again, Sears torque wrenches are not covered by a lifetime warranty. It's more like six months, and they do break as has been reported around here.

Add me to the Craftsman torque wrench owner list.

They may have one now, but back when I bought mine you had to buy at least 2 to cover common torque values. I have an inch pound one that goes down low for those small torque values:

and also a larger one that will also cover work on trucks where you might need 150 ft/lbs of torque:

And a beam type is nice to have in case you want to know at what torque the threads stipped out :whacko:

And a beam type is nice to have in case you want to know at what torque the threads stipped out
You mind adding a bit to that shot?

EDIT: I sure as hell wouldn't want one of these in my toolbox. :nutjob: :)

Yes, folks, I know their torque wrenches aren't covered, I had "zoomed out" my scope a bit more general by that sentence and thought the word HAND was sufficient clue that I knew better.

Only static, no-moving-parts tools like wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc are covered. Well, wratchets move and are covered, but not much else that has moving parts of any kind are these days, and definately nothing that consumes electrical power in any way. Like someone said, it is somewhat floorperson discretion. The point is that this is why Sears keeps my business despite there being cheaper or flashier alternatives out there.

When my great-grandfather passed away (back when I was a teen), we found some ANCIENT Craftsman hand tools in his garage. They were badly neglected, but still beared the logo. Dad took them in, a few at a time, and every single one of them was exchanged for new without question, although one older guy did marvel at the apparent age of the sockets when we presented them to him. That's how I got my first Craftsman starter tool set, and I've never looked elsewhere since.

I bought the 3/8" Craftsman torsion/beam (good to 75ftlbs) wrench when it went on sale and couple it through adapters to calibrate cheap clickers to the desired torque before using them.

Beam style wrenches are accurate and do not require recalibration unless they are abused or bent.

Jim,

Well you resurrected in my brain that I also needed a wrench in this torque wrench. You can get a new snap-on 1/4" drive wrench on Ebay for near the price you are talking about. I am thinking of picking up a used one for little money and getting it calibrated.

P.S. If there is some confusion, a split-beam torque wrench is NOT a beam style $15 torque wrench. Very different technologies.

Thanks for the posts and comments. I will check out the Craftsman at Sears this weekend and will look at the others. Seems like it's harder, but not impossible, to get a torque wrench for the lower settings. We have some settings of ~4 lbft for the bike and after stripping the one generator cover bolt (8.7) I want to get a fairly accurate wrench at the lower values. Thanks again!

I agree with the Craftsman folks

I have two a 1/2 inch drive from 20 to 200 ft/lbs and a 3/8 10 to 85 ft/lbs

You can get a 3/8 that will do inch/pound but it goes from 5 to about 20 ft/lbs when you do the conversion.

Personally I do very little at less than 10 lbs but one can get a little lower if needed

The warranty on Craftsman is 1 year (I just bought the 3/8 in drive this past weekend