totaled my '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megofast

Reaction score
So this one is pretty simple.. I was getting onto a freeway onramp and a car decided to lane share with me before the lanes split from 1 to 2, well I got pushed over to the side in a sharp turn, hit some sand, and went flying over the median.

The bike didn't LOOK badly damaged but everything put together (8.5k parts, 4.3k labor, 1k taxes) the estimate was almost 14k dollars for repair. So needless to say, my insurance declared it a total loss.

I will really really really really miss this bike, I loved it.

But I'm also taking this as a sign, I'm going to slim down my expenses and save up and buy a new one in cash now that I have a second chance. Hopefully I will be back in saddle of a shiny new one before too long.

CJ

Edit: oh and as long as I have you attention.. my insurance is supposed to call me soon with a price for the bike as "used". Well they said they use statistics for sales in my area to find that number, but I don't know of any used 08s for sale around here. Anyone have an idea what a "used" 08 in perfect condition with 4700 miles would be worth? I don't want my insurance ripping me off but i really dont have a reference because the bike is so new

Last edited by a moderator:
What to say?

I'm happy you still want to ride.

Major bad, good for you to get over it and ride again..

What's with all these damn crashes? Stop it!

My insurance company did the same thing when I totaled my '05. In my case, it worked to my advantage.

Edit: oh and as long as I have you attention.. my insurance is supposed to call me soon with a price for the bike as "used". Well they said they use statistics for sales in my area to find that number, but I don't know of any used 08s for sale around here. Anyone have an idea what a "used" 08 in perfect condition with 4700 miles would be worth? I don't want my insurance ripping me off but i really dont have a reference because the bike is so new
Hope you're ok. Sorry to hear about the bike. There's an '08 at my local dealer (Yamaha of Camp Hill in Camp Hill, Pa - in case they ask) selling an 08 with 700 miles for $10,900.

The crashing is certainly all bad, but you sure seem to be taking it well... glad you're okay....

Dude, glad to hear you are safe and sound.
You aren't in my insurance group, are you? :rolleyes:
Haha I'm not sure.. I'm 21, but I don't know if they are even going to count this as my fault. I was pushed over against the shoulder by another car in a hard 120 degree turn, plus I didnt hit anyone else, property damage, or injuries... so I don't know what's going to happen.

I really just want to know what they plan on valuing my bike at. I'll be mucho upset if they give me some super low figure.

The crashing is certainly all bad, but you sure seem to be taking it well... glad you're okay....
Thanks, injuries were minimal. Think I re-fractured my big toe (a tape wrap is all it needs) and I've been putting second skin burn bandages on my shin for the last week but the skin is pretty much all back and pink again :)

Otherwise just scrapes and bruises, pretty good overall. It could have been worse but I separated away from my bike and rolled instead of a hard landing, and my gloves SAVED one of my palms. Jacket and helmet took no damage. It could have been deadly if there was oncoming traffic though, I flew over the low median with the bike into the oncoming offramp that happened to be a blind curve.

Your insurance will try and get the replacement money somewhere around 70% Do not settle cheap

One thing they try is get the cost of a used 08 that is close to yours with what ever you had on it that is their base for repayment than they try to get you to settle for about 70%of that price. So what you should have done is pay an xtra $10 to $15 dollars on insurance and they would have bought you a brand new one in the box no question asked.

This fee that they charge is for full cost replacement they usually do not mention it to you

My boss found out the hard way about this for his car. He had to come p with 5k for a new car plus ins. money

I pay the xtra $10 dollars This is a general idea f how the insurance companies work and they all have their own twist to it

Are you going after the person that caused the wreck??? :)

So this one is pretty simple.. I was getting onto a freeway onramp and a car decided to lane share with me before the lanes split from 1 to 2, well I got pushed over to the side in a sharp turn, hit some sand, and went flying over the median.
The bike didn't LOOK badly damaged but everything put together (8.5k parts, 4.3k labor, 1k taxes) the estimate was almost 14k dollars for repair. So needless to say, my insurance declared it a total loss.

But I'm also taking this as a sign, I'm going to slim down my expenses and save up and buy a new one in cash now that I have a second chance. Hopefully I will be back in saddle of a shiny new one before too long.

So glad you are OK and excited about riding again. I have to ask.

If you could do that entrance onto the on ramp over, what would you have done different? Speed?, looking for that car to cut you off? I think it helps all of us to be aware of different situations that riders have faced. Might give us something to look for the next time we are out there. Thanks. Hope you're back on two wheels in short order.

CJ

CJ

not sure how my reply didn't make it out of your post, but anyway hope you read my post contained within yours.............Jesse

Witnesses would help assign blame to the other driver. Sadly, they don't often stop.

If your frame and engine are pretty much OK, let them total it and then see if you can buy it back and fix it. I've bought stuff back for 15% of what they gave me.... more than enough leftover to fix the vehicle myself. If you already hold the title, you won't even necessarily end up with a stamped Salvage title.

Its likely the number would be from neverland. https://www.kbb.com might not even have data for 08's yet. I would guess that the value would be about 70% msrp on trade, and maybe 80% at retail.

It sounds like you got a loan to buy the bike, so you may find yourself upside down. If you can get the OTHER guy's insurance company involved, your company can go after them, and you might come out better, especially since you did suffer some physical injury. The injury may seem minor, but with the total loss of the bike and with the physical injury, they might be willing to settle.

My son was clipped by a hit and run driver recently. He was fortunate in that he was able to get the license number. It took the police 3 weeks to find the guy, but they did find him, and he had insurance. Vehicle description, time of day, possible scrapes on car if there was impact, are all potentially valuable to find a hit and run driver... although a license number is the best bet for a non-stolen car.

I'm glad you're OK. Your idea to pay cash next time is a good one. Keep thinking that way. Debt is the greatest voluntary enslaver known to man. Steer clear.

Your insurance will try and get the replacement money somewhere around 70% Do not settle cheap
One thing they try is get the cost of a used 08 that is close to yours with what ever you had on it that is their base for repayment than they try to get you to settle for about 70%of that price. So what you should have done is pay an xtra $10 to $15 dollars on insurance and they would have bought you a brand new one in the box no question asked.

This fee that they charge is for full cost replacement they usually do not mention it to you

My boss found out the hard way about this for his car. He had to come p with 5k for a new car plus ins. money

I pay the xtra $10 dollars This is a general idea f how the insurance companies work and they all have their own twist to it

Are you going after the person that caused the wreck??? :)
I believe the type of insurance that does that full replacement is called GAP insurance. Especially good for new machines, especially fully financed ones. Hindsight is 20/20 though, so it'll all be in the rear view of the new bike soon anyway. ;)

Hey megofast, sorry about your ride, but glad your OK. Sounds like you have Dairyland/Sentry Insurance. Read below:

I had Dairyland who was competatively priced for New York City @ $1070. Then I was rear ended last Oct & my 06 FJR was totalled. Dairyland lowballed the price to replace my bike (I had full coverage). Then they give me some crap about how they don't use a Blue Book to determine the value & that I should find 3 06FJR's in my region for an average price. WTF ??? is that all about? In November there aren't any FJR's for sale in the northeast cause nobody is looking to buy a bike going into the winter season. I tried to submit 3 06FJR's from the southwest that were for sale on Biketrader. Their average price was about the same as the Blue Book standard & the same as Motorcycle Consumers listing. They wouldn't accept the verified bikes because they weren't in my region. (???)

It wasn't until I flat out refused their low ball offer after dancing with them for over a month. They said they would touch base with me in a few weeks. The next day (?) they called me back with some B.S. story that the real condition of the bike was left out of the adjusters report & were now willing to give me the actual used bike value. This pissed me off but when I was ready to insure the 08 when it was delivered in January I decided to go with them again since they did make good on the true value of the bike. Then I found out they were going to charge me an additional $200. When pressed for a reason for the increase since the accident wasn't my fault, they claimed that the 08 was more expensive than the 06 therefore more expensive to cover collision wise. The 08 was $500 more than the 06 & for this they were going to charge me $200 additional every year? I may look stupid, but I'm not! Called my insurance agent I told them to find me another insurance company. They did. They found me a company - American Modern Home Insurance Co. for $812 per year. $550 cheaper! I was sceptical because I never heard of this company before, but my broker (who is K&K Brokerage in NY who is one of the best & I've had them for over 30 years) stated they started using this company about a year ago & have had no complaints from their clients about any problems with settlements.

I have a new insurance company now, & my wife has a new helmet & jacket from the money I saved!