Tour Master jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikr

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my leather jacket and pants with something that will work in most all temps and weather. I just looked at a Tour Master Flex jacket and really like the look of it. I really like the zip off outer part that makes it a mesh type jacket (with the inner liners out as well). Anyone have any experience with it? Or do you have some other ideas instead of the Flex jacket? The Stich stuff is WAY too pricey for me and no local dealers around so I can check them out (IE. lay hands on and really see what your getting). Also, any input on pants would be a help. And I have all winter to get this purchase done and right now I'm on IMFORMATION OVERLOAD. TIA

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to replace my leather jacket and pants with something that will work in most all temps and weather. I just looked at a Tour Master Flex jacket and really like the look of it. I really like the zip off outer part that makes it a mesh type jacket (with the inner liners out as well). Anyone have any experience with it? Or do you have some other ideas instead of the Flex jacket? The Stich stuff is WAY too pricey for me and no local dealers around so I can check them out (IE. lay hands on and really see what your getting). Also, any input on pants would be a help. And I have all winter to get this purchase done and right now I'm on IMFORMATION OVERLOAD. TIA
Tom
+1 on the flex jacket, it's great! As far as i know however Tourmaster does not make pants specifically for this jacket. The Flex jacket has 3 to 4 layers that can be shed.

inside heat

inside rain

mesh

outside ballistic

haven't been in the rain with it, but i'm sure it'd fare well. Before that i had the firstgear speed jacket which was the best of both worlds. Leather in the high impact areas and ballistics everywhere else...unfortunately they stopped making them.

I have the TourMaster flex jacket, I just bought one about 6 weeks ago. It is a very good warm weather jacket. It is a very good cold weather jacket. It completely sucks as a rain jacket.

The exterior is not waterproof, thus all the water flows in through the nylon and zippers and saturates the jacket all the way down to the rain liner which is against your shirt and/or skin. If that water is cold, you get very cold quickly. In addition, the jacket gets so waterlogged heavy, it will break most plastic hangers when you take it off. I have decided to use it as my summer/fall jacket and have bought a Fieldsheer Hydrotour for my winter/rain jacket.

The TourMaster flex isn't a total loss though. It is great for riding to work in the morning (or, in my case coming home in the morning - night shift sucks) when it is cold, unzipping the exterior shell and riding home in the day when it's warm outside. Just so long as it isn't raining.

I have 13,500 miles on my Flex jacket now. I love it. But then again, these miles have been central kali weather (hot) and no rain yet. PonyFool lives in wetter climate, and I respect his opinon; if he says it sucks in rain then my dollar to your dime says it sucks in rain. I've not been there yet.. but it makes sense.. the rain liner is the innermost liner, if I recall correctly.

If/when it rains on my parade, I'll be wearing outer rain wear to protect the Flex. Just now starting to look at Frog Toggs' or something like that seems to have good reviews on the board. Here's what I know, after a few years... Rain requires full on rain gear.. period. I don't consider the Flex to be full rain gear, not by a long shot. YMMV. I have a full one piece rain suit that I used when (previously) I was in to all weather riding.. but it seems to have shrunk and does not fit well now... :dribble: but it was/is fully rain proof. As in 5 spends 15 days in the rain.. and you'll quickly find out what works and what doesn't... ;)

I did buy the TourMaster outter liner jacket while I was waiting for my Fieldsheer, and that is a very viable alternative, it just wasn't what I was hoping for.

Yes, the Pacific NW is much wetter, and I was so ticked off when I got all dressed up and ready to ride in the rain and was completely soaked through in 10 miles. Granted, I never actually got wet, but I was very cold and miserable!

Try looking @ Olympia motorsports.....used mine to go to WFO....& am riding with it now @ home here in Canada....where the temp is steadily dropping with lots of lovely rain....

Frogg Toggs..

Rain Interliners are for emergencies only, or keeping the wind out, the outter shell really needs to be waterproof.

Pony is exactly right. When we were in NH at a big meet we put our jackets on our bikes coverging our tank bags and goodies. While we were inside, the skys parted and the rains came. It sucked. My mesh jacket was a big spounge.

That time I had to put my Togg under my mesh to ride back to the hotel and wearing an extra 20lb water logged mesh jacket that took almost 2 days to dry out.

It sucked bad.

Try looking @ Olympia motorsports.....used mine to go to WFO....& am riding with it now @ home here in Canada....where the temp is steadily dropping with lots of lovely rain....
Mike-H,

What model Olympia jacket do you have/use?

And just so everyone will know, I'm trying to find a jacket that a "local" dealer carries so I can lay "hands on" to check fit/features. Hard thing to do here in Vermont. "Local" covers most of New England in my case. :(

Tom

I have a Tourmaster/Cortech ADX jacket and love it. I also have a pair of Tourmaster Decker overpants. In my experience I would not hesitate to recommend any of their products. Very well made at a very good price.

200w.jpg

From the reviews that I've read, the TM Flex is a great all weather jacket as long as it's not raining. You'll still need rain gear to wear outside of it. But it will give you the flexibility you need in one jacket. By the way, TM also makes a jean-style textile pants that's padded and sells for about $60.00.

Mike-H,

What model Olympia jacket do you have/use?

And just so everyone will know, I'm trying to find a jacket that a "local" dealer carries so I can lay "hands on" to check fit/features. Hard thing to do here in Vermont. "Local" covers most of New England in my case. :(

Tom
Tom, I wear the olympia air glide 2 suit....outer suit is partly mesh but the entire outer suit is waterproofed....inner liners are waterproof....found that the weight didn't seem any different when the mesh got soaked (1 hr of heavy down pour).....in anything less we never got wet without the liners in.....if you go to their website & contact them, they will tell you where the closest dealer to you is located.....I've ridden in +100 f & low to mid 30's f & have had no problems....hope this helps....Mike

Now thanks to Mike-H I have to look over the Olympia Air Glide 2 suit. And thnaks to everyone else as well. That's why I love this web page. :)

Tom

I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro Air. I have ridden in temp from 18 to 90degs F. All I usually wear under the jacket is a T-shirt. Below 30deg it is not quit enough but I did get by. From 30degs up it was great.

With the liner out, at 90deg, I stayed cool as long as I was moving. It was actually better with the jacket on than off. Not sure why. This jacket is truly an all weather jacket.

I am not sure how it will work in a fall. I haven't tested that yet :D . It does have full armor though.

I have the Tourmaster Transition jacket , check it out as a alternative.

Cary

From the reviews that I've read, the TM Flex is a great all weather jacket as long as it's not raining. You'll still need rain gear to wear outside of it. But it will give you the flexibility you need in one jacket. By the way, TM also makes a jean-style textile pants that's padded and sells for about $60.00.
Avigar and all,

Have you tried their jean-style textile pants ($75 on their site)? I'm looking for some alternative to my black First Gear textile pants. Thanks.