touring boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxrybound

Reaction score
Looking at getting the alpinestar mx5 what do you think of these boots? I want a touring boot and good protection. I know you can't have the best in both worlds and mean more toward the protection side. Thanks

You can have everything, But it will cost you! a few years ago when I had some extra money to throw around I purchased these after trying three other brands. I can honestly say, the comfort, fit , and protection are worth the extra money.

https://www.helimot.c...opexd.asp?id=75

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have everything, But it will cost you! a few years ago when I had some extra money to throw around I purchased these after trying three other brands. I can honestly say, the comfort, fit , and protection are worth the extra money.

https://www.helimot.c...opexd.asp?id=75

We both wear Daytona boots also, great fit and protection, quality material & completely waterproof ! Most comfortable boots I've ever worn. They can also be re-soled at a later date when you eventually wear them out. Goretex lined also.

I looked at the boots Alpinestar mx5 you mentioned and there is no way they're waterproof with that many seams and all that stitching, not a good touring boot IMHO.

FWIW, I LOVE my Sidi On Road boots. Like almost everything it is personal preference, but for the last 40-50K miles they have been very comfortable, and 100% water proof.

Sidi On-Road boots! Over 50K miles, numerous monsoonal rainstorms, one re-sole, occasional re-waterproofing, and they are still completely waterproof and comfortable on and off the bike. Pricey? You bet, but worth it.

pete

Cruiserworks!

I have the "defender" model. Never liked "boots" before, butt then 46,000 miles of DRY, Warm and sweat free riding

and I am now a believer. These miles have all been within the last 18 months. Used these on the IBA 48++ ride.

If my feet would have been uncomfortable... I would be ripping these boots up. I like the lace up, which initially I

avoided- They give a personalized fit. Can be resoled also.

Do you mean S-MX5? If so I love mine. Very comfy, true fit, and not bad to walk in. Not sure how long the sole will last since I only use them for recreational rides and not for commuting. So far they were well worth the money... BTW - They've gone up in price since I bought them.

Good luck in your quest. ;)

I've been wearing my Oxtar Infinities (now sold/re-branded as TCX Infinities) for 3 years and 24,0000 miles . . . best boots I've ever owned, even after hours of riding in torrential rain . . . CE rated armor . . . I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat . . . if I needed them, but these are still like new

Yes it the smx5 boots. You can get them in waterproof,vented,and normal. I like these but when off the bike I want to be able to walk without walking like a robot. :) .

+1 on cruiserworks. Only problem is I can't get my right foot in one since breaking my heel almost 2 years ago. Foot still swollen.

Another vote for Daytona boots. They are waterproof and the best walking boot I have ever owned. I am sending them back this week to be resoled. The cost you ask? $125 for the resole but better than buying another pair. I bought the RoadStar GTX and got my wife the LadyStar which also lifts her up about an inch to help her reach the ground.

Road%20Star%20GTX%20230.jpg

I'm on my second set of Teknic Defender boots. First pair lasted about 9 years of daily commuting. I walk about three blocks from the garage to the office and they're pretty comfortable. They're fairly warm and pretty dry (for the first half of their life, then they need some re-proofing).

Yet another vote for the Daytonas. Had my pair for many years now. Resoled once - but mostly 'cause TWN liked to surf his soles along the highway as he rode and I spent many a mile watching him do that. Must have worn off on me. Pun intended. Bad habit. But I digress. The shift protector on top of the left boot is looking a bit ragged but other than that they look like they will go on quite a while longer.

Uh, I'm cheap; I got Cabela's Gore-Tex lace ups on sale a couple of yrs back. Still going strong with no leaks - and I've been in some real frog floaters! I think they were $59 in the bargain cave.

Yeah, I know, I should have some real motorcycle touring boots as they offer better protection, esp the ankles, butt I like these, they're comfortable, so I'll keep running them until they wear out; then, who knows?

I recently got a pair of Fox Comp5 Shorty's. They are more on the protective side of things, very stiff when I first got them but once broken in not too bad. They are ok for walking short distances, I probably have to walk about 1/4 mile from the parking garage at work and it isn't bad. I have no idea if they're waterproof yet, I'm still carrying waterproof boot covers just in case. The only thing I didn't like at first was the thick padding at the top, but it's gotten better as they break in.

Comp5 Shorty's

I've been wearing my Oxtar Infinities (now sold/re-branded as TCX Infinities) for 3 years and 24,0000 miles . . . best boots I've ever owned, even after hours of riding in torrential rain . . . CE rated armor . . . I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat . . . if I needed them, but these are still like new

+1 on the TCX Infinities. Best boot I have owned. Water tight and excellent crash protection.

+1 on the TCX Infinities. Best boot I have owned. Water tight and excellent crash protection.
+2 I have a old pair which are Oxtars but I thought they are showing some wear so I bought a second pair which are now TCX. The old pair are still waterproof.