Touring luggage options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnall1

Reaction score
Trying to get the FJR set-up for some touring around Alaska and Canada, when I get back from Afghanistan. I'm stationed at Fort Richardson, Ak. I am wondering if anyone has used the MagsBags, Grand Touring Bag, before. If so, what are your thought? Like/Don't Like. Would you go with a Topbox instead?

Also, in the realm of TopBoxes; anyone familiar with CooCase? Would you recommended CooCase over Givi?

Too many options. Which is a good thing. (I guess) :unsure:

Thanks for the help. :)

Trying to get the FJR set-up for some touring around Alaska and Canada, when I get back from Afghanistan. I'm stationed at Fort Richardson, Ak. I am wondering if anyone has used the MagsBags, Grand Touring Bag, before. If so, what are your thought? Like/Don't Like. Would you go with a Topbox instead?
Also, in the realm of TopBoxes; anyone familiar with CooCase? Would you recommended CooCase over Givi?

Too many options. Which is a good thing. (I guess) :unsure:

Thanks for the help. :)
Best wishes and BE SAFE!!

I have and am very satisified with my Givi E52 because the boss is always on board. It has a well-placed backrest cushion and she likes to bring along everything. Mounts to the Premier Cycle Accessories excellent Top Box rack.

Whatever you decide it should probably include insulation... ;)

I use a MotoFizz Medium + Garauld Tack. I remove the bag and the rack when I am not doing long trip.

Keep the sporty look of the bike for day to day driving and have the bag for the long run, takes 5 minutes to install.

Ride safe

I never heard of Mags Bags before, but I did see one of their grand touring bags on one of the FJRs in the pictures of the Iron Butt Rally this week. I wondered what it was. Looks interesting if you carry a pillion and don't have a tail box. The picture is pointed to in this thread, post 511.

There was some discussion a while back about the Coo case vs Givi. They are similar and I guess it depends on what features you want and how much you are willing to pay. Givi has been around for a long time and has earned a reputation for good quality durable cases. I haven't read any real life experiences about Coo case yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like using soft luggage instead of the trunk with the thought being that a trunk would limit my space and I already have 2 saddlebags for lockable storage. It was also based on the premise that I already had a sisssybar bag from my cruiser days but the above thought still applies.