Tournaster Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know. Having just went down wearing my Intake, I'd leave the hard armor there! They did their job. Also, the soft pads for the back are worthless. Looking hard at those "Ninja Turtle" back protectors now.

I have 10K miles on the Intake and I did not like the armor at first and now I wish it had more of it. Hang in there and you may get to like it too.

After riding my whole life in plain leather jackets with no armor, I bought a First Gear leather jacket with armor. I felt the same as you initially, mainly because the armor gets in the way wearing the jacket when not on the bike. Forget driving a car with those padded elbows getting in the way or trying to eat dinner with the pads bashing into the table edge. So I resigned myself to keeping the jacket for riding only. Works great for me. I feel MUCH safer with those pads in place while riding.

BTW, I just picked up some Aerostitch AD1 (Darien) pants and am feeling the same way all over again. The knee pads and optional hip pads seem so bulky compared to what I'm used to. But I'm going to keep them because I'll be real happy I have them if I really need them. From what I've read, once the material breaks in, the comfort factor goes way up.

After riding my whole life in plain leather jackets with no armor, I bought a First Gear leather jacket with armor. I felt the same as you initially, mainly because the armor gets in the way wearing the jacket when not on the bike. Forget driving a car with those padded elbows getting in the way or trying to eat dinner with the pads bashing into the table edge. So I resigned myself to keeping the jacket for riding only. Works great for me. I feel MUCH safer with those pads in place while riding.
BTW, I just picked up some Aerostitch AD1 (Darien) pants and am feeling the same way all over again. The knee pads and optional hip pads seem so bulky compared to what I'm used to. But I'm going to keep them because I'll be real happy I have them if I really need them. From what I've read, once the material breaks in, the comfort factor goes way up.
We just returned from a little 1500 mile trip to New River Gorge and the Blue ridge parkway. We neve noticed the hard armor loved the coats.