Traffic light detectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
Doesn't happen often but every once in awhile I get stuck at some red light and can't trip the signal to change the light. Usually end up turning right or just running the red light. Any suggestions on how best to handle such a situation ?

Try putting your sidestand down directly on the "line" where the wire is buried
If that doesn't work, just go ahead through it soon as it's safe and clear.

Also consider contacting "the authorities" and tell them you got stuck. Sometimes they'll actually come out and re-adjust the sensativity.

Write a complain to the public works/engineer for that village. They have the power to adjust those damn light to be triggered by a fly.

Write a complain to the public works/engineer for that village. They have the power to adjust those damn light to be triggered by a fly.
Ha! Like, that so totally never works around here, you know? My few calls to the local DOT resulted in: "Uh-huh, yeah, we know about that intersection. It's on our list." My calls where years ago and I still have to drop my stand.

Solution: Move to Minnesota

The law here is: 169.06, Minnesota Statutes 2006

Subd. 9. Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal. (a) A person

operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection

controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if

the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered

to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has

apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or

entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

(B ) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or

crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not

provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

That defense saved me a few coins last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big rare earth magnet on center stand triggers the sensors on my bikes. Bought on ebay 1.25" round with niobium. Works great!!

Big rare earth magnet on center stand triggers the sensors on my bikes. Bought on ebay 1.25" round with niobium. Works great!!
I have one of those on my 2 fiddy. Doesn't seem to do a damn thing for me. Dropping the centerstand down tho does tend to trigger most lights. I just run the rest when it's obvious that the light doesn't see me and it's safe to do so. I do the same on the FJR.

Wait a reasonable time, look carefully, run the light...

ALWAYS assume there was a LEO hiding and watching the intersection, so keep the speed down until you are a good distance away.

Wash-rinse-repeat as necessary!

:)

I'm willing to argue my/that case in any court of law.

Last edited by a moderator:
The law changed in Ohio a couple years ago similar to what Joe2Lmaker posted.

You have to stop, make sure you wait at least a little bit, or what seems reasonable for that light, make sure it's clear and safe and you're good to go.

There's nothing I can do to trigger the light that's at the end of the road where I work. No amount of backing up, side stand, center stand, nadda... So it gets run regularly.

Centerstand. It works about 98% of the time. In fact, there are a couple of intersections that during traffic/commute times, I lightly "drag" my center stand as I'm approaching the light thus tripping 2 or 3 of the magnetic sensors. It works for me.

After reading through this post I decided to do my part for two wheeled safety here in Sag Harbor so I got on the phone to see if I could get anybody on the line that might give a shit about fine tuning the one stop light we have in town. After getting the usual bureaucratic run around and making no less than 5 phone calls to different agencies, I got to leave a message on "Joe's" voice mail. Evidently "Joe" is the guy. Tomorrow we shall see if he calls back. If he does, maybe you all can call "Joe" also and have him come out and fix your fubared traffic signal. I'll report back... <_<

Often, the problem is in where you position your bike. Most people think that the entire area inside of the "sensing loop" buried in the asphalt is sensitized, so they stop their bikes in the middle of it. In reality, only the perimeter of the sensing loop can detect a vehicle. By stopping in the middle, you probably have your steering head over the front part of the loop, and your rear tire over the rear part. Not exactly a strong metal presence in either case.

Instead, try stopping at the extreme left or extreme right of the sensing loop. By doing this, you position your engine and centerstand directly over the wire. You stand a much better chance of having the system detect you when you're positioned this way. Try it. It seems to work for virtually ever signal I've ever encountered.

After wasting $15-$20 on a stupid magnet that'll never come off the bottom of my bike I think I've learned a fair amount about the voodoo of the lights in Western Mass anyway. First, my parking lot for work has me needing to cross 4 lanes of autobahn to get in the direction of home (or back). They re-did the intersection and light controlling my work's entrance and the street directly across, and then I couldn't get a light no matter what I did. After having a few meltdowns trying to get back to work from lunch and having to wait for a car to come along, I took action. First I contacted the city councellor for that ward, who then got me in contact with the MassHighway guy that is responsible for the lights in the area. Turns out, he's a wicked nice guy and did whatever he could without hesitation, including offering to have me coordinate a time to test the signals with my bike while he was there. What they did do was showed me how the "triggers" work and explained that in this spot it's a sensor in the shape of a sqare, and the best way to trip it with the bike is to be at the edge of it. They even painted some little lines so I would have a guide for where to stop, ensuring the best location. Also, at other intersections, after much trial and much error, I found the following seems to work for me. When approaching the intersection, there are usually 3 lines, 2 for the crosswalk and one as the "stop line". I stop with my feet on the first line, then if nothing happens I go to the next, and then in necessary move several inches at a time until you find it. God, I had traffic lights, especially when on a M/C made mostly of aluminum and plastic so I could go on forever. Sorry for being so "chatty", but I'm kind of retarded when trying to explain things like this in words.