trailer hitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
Did the search thing but didn't find what I want. I have a trailer that I can't sell for awhile so I figure I will try it out while waiting for papers. What I am looking for is some pictures and or description on how the hitch mounts to the FJR. I am going to fab my own hitch just looking for ideas. Thanks

Ray,

Awhile back I made a hitch for my Connie C10. Here is the forum link: https://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=41709.0

Of course, a Connie is not an FJR, but may give you some ideas. I have looked at the FJR and thought that it wouldn't be much different. Find two suitable mounting locations near the rear exhaust hanger, and two higher up in the tail. Reinforcement of the tail may be required.

Ray, at the Busters dinner you said you were going to be up in the Seattle area again in the near future. Come on by and take all the measurements you would like to on mine.

Here is what I have on mine, includes pitcures. It is by Bushtec. Bushtec trailer hitch

Ray, at the Busters dinner you said you were going to be up in the Seattle area again in the near future. Come on by and take all the measurements you would like to on mine.
Here is what I have on mine, includes pitcures. It is by Bushtec. Bushtec trailer hitch
I was there long enough to deposit my MIL and left. If I make it to the tech thing maybe I can look at it then. The lower part is easy but until I get the cover off mine and look I am not sure where to attach the upper braces.

I was there long enough to deposit my MIL and left. If I make it to the tech thing maybe I can look at it then. The lower part is easy but until I get the cover off mine and look I am not sure where to attach the upper braces.

When you pull the passenger seat, there are two bolts near the back of the opening that bolt the inner fender and to the subframe. That is where the braces go. They are in the space on the outside of the subframe. I'll try to get you a picture when I get home.

When you pull the passenger seat, there are two bolts near the back of the opening that bolt the inner fender and to the subframe. That is where the braces go. They are in the space on the outside of the subframe. I'll try to get you a picture when I get home.
Cool. Thanks.

Here is the top of the bar under the seat

IMG_8217.jpg

tops of both verticles shown. Note the bar is threaded so you remove the existing nut and washer and bolt into the bar. The bar is a fairly snug fit. I drilled out the inner fender and then used a file to square up the edges so the bar fit in. The white wire to the right are the isolater taps for the trailer lights. Strongly recommend you get an isolator. Bushtec sells a good one, it will protect the FJR wire harness.

IMG_8218.jpg

Top view where verticle bar attaches to subframe

IMG_8219.jpg

Side view

IMG_8220.jpg

Close up of verticle going through hole cut in inner fender and where the trailer wire harness comes out. I tie-wrapped it to the fender to keep from getting in the way. The plug end goes up behind the license plate holder when not in use.

IMG_8221.jpg

End view of attachment under foot pegs

IMG_8222.jpg

Attachment point under footpegs (need longer bolts)

IMG_8223.jpg

Side shot with trailer hooked up to the bike

IMG_3847.jpg

Let me know if you need any measurements.

I have the hitch that came off the other bike so I don't have to start from scratch. I figure I can sell the hitch with the trailer when I get the title sorted out. The problem is if I like it I may want to keep it. Thanks a lot for the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took the cover off mine for the first time this year and put it on the lift. It looks like on the gen1 the upper attachment point is right out in the open on the subframe and foward of where it shows in Your pics. I haven't taken the fuel cell off yet but looking under it there aren't any other attachments farther back.

Any body have any pics of a hitch on a gen1 ????

Below pic's are the main brackets on my 2004. The upper bracket bolts in several places underneath the Black plastic bracket used to support the hard bag brackets (I believe 3 smaller bolts). You can just see the lower mount inbetween the rear passenger peg.

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Below pic's are the main brackets on my 2004. The upper bracket bolts in several places underneath the Black plastic bracket used to support the hard bag brackets (I believe 3 smaller bolts). You can just see the lower mount inbetween the rear passenger peg.

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Those pics make it clear. I didn't want to take the tail section apart but it looks like that is the way it's done. I kind of plan on selling the trailer but thought It would be fun to try it out while I am waiting for the paper work. Thanks for the pics.