Trailer Suggestion for a Ford Fusion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I am going to visit a friend in Colorado in August to celebrate her 40th birthday and I wanted to ride out but the wife is insisting we take the car. I live in So CA so it is only about 1000 each way and I can tell I am not going to win this argument based on some of the items we need to bring so I was thinking??? Is there a place I can rent a trailer that would pull the bike if so where would you recommend? I also would like to know if it would be safe to tow with my company car and I would only need the trailer for about a week? I get a new Ford Fusion every 6 months and to be honest I would rather put the miles on my company car and not my personal car. Would the Fusion be able to safely pull the FJR and a trailer? I would also need to find a tow hitch and have it fit to the car and I am really not sure where to find a place to do that either unless UHAL does something like that? Is this a pipe dream or would this be possible?

Once we get out to Colorado I would spend a few days riding and enjoying the local roads and back mountains. Would someone tell me if this is crazy or if it is possible? :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to visit a friend in Colorado in August to celebrate her 40th birthday and I wanted to ride out but the wife is insisting we take the car. I live in So CA so it is only about 1000 each way and I can tell I am not going to win this argument based on some of the items we need to bring so I was thinking??? Is there a place I can rent a trailer that would pull the bike if so where would you recommend? I also would like to know if it would be safe to tow with my company car and I would only need the trailer for about a week? I get a new Ford Fusion every 6 months and to be honest I would rather put the miles on my company car and not my personal car. Would the Fusion be able to safely pull the FJR and a trailer? I would also need to find a tow hitch and have it fit to the car and I am really not sure where to find a place to do that either unless UHAL does something like that? Is this a pipe dream or would this be possible?
Once we get out to Colorado I would spend a few days riding and enjoying the local roads and back mountains. Would someone tell me if this is crazy or if it is possible? :dntknw:
I know U-Haul will sell and mount a hitch to most cars/trucks.

I found a motorcycle trailer on the UHAL website. It looks like it costs about $15 a day but they only have a service that will mount a permanent hitch and I now need to find a place that would install a temporary hitch that I could take off when I get back. I am totally new to hauling so any suggestions would be appreciated.

For the cost of renting the trailer and hitch you could just pay the gas to run both. Let the wife drive in comfort in the car while you ride the bike.

For the cost of renting the trailer and hitch you could just pay the gas to run both. Let the wife drive in comfort in the car while you ride the bike.
Not a bad idea. It is $75 for the trailer for 5 days and the gas for the bike would add another $175 for 2000 miles. Interesting...

Try Hidden Hitch. They make bolt on hitches for just about anything. I have used them to mount Class 1 hitches to my WRX and Mazda 3 as well as my Father in Laws Lexus 400h. Each took about 30min-1hr to insttall, 4 bolts and a torque wrench. The Mazda was the real PIA because you had to fish bolts through the bumper but they give you the wire.

Myguess is the hitch would run you about $120.

Better check the tow rating, if any, for that vehicle. Unibodies are not noted for being tow capable, and the brakes might not be up to the task either especially since you will have some mountain towing. It'd be a shame to have you and the Fusion sandwiched between an immovabale object and your FJR on the trailer.

My wifes 2006 Mazda 3 can tow up to 1500 pounds and my 2007 Ford Fusion witht he same 2.3 engine shows I can only tow 1000 pounds. Both are very hard to find but I finally found this info. If our bikes weight 600 pounds and the trailer is 400 then I should be alright? Thoughts...

I used that trailer to haul Frank to WooFoo last year. Tow vehicle was a 97 Merc Grand Marquis with a 4.6 V8, and I towed it a total of 3000 miles. The trailer pulled fine, but the ramp made for one hell of an airbrake, knocking down mileage substantially, as well as requiring 3rd gear rather than OD on even the slightest incline or headwind. I had the windshield off the bike to reduce drag. The trailer worked ok, but doesn't have the best tiedown options-I used a Canyon Dancer as well as straps on the rear hooked to the rear peg mounts. Got about 18 mpg average for the trip, down from the normal 25 highway. The trailer tires were pretty new on leaving, pretty worn upon return. Good luck, and if you have any more q's on the combo, feel free to ask.

My wifes 2006 Mazda 3 can tow up to 1500 pounds and my 2007 Ford Fusion witht he same 2.3 engine shows I can only tow 1000 pounds. Both are very hard to find but I finally found this info. If our bikes weight 600 pounds and the trailer is 400 then I should be alright? Thoughts...
Both Trailer Boats and Trailer Life magazines publish annual car by car listings regarding towing and the all-important footnoted requirements. You might try looking at their web sites for the info.

The FJR alone is 650. Personally, I'd look into renting a bike at the other end... or rent a pickup truck to drive there. But check TB and TL.

this is from u hauls web site.

5' x 8' Open Trailer

Lightweight and easy to tow. Reserve now

This trailer is available for local rental only – it must be returned to the location it was rented from.

Capacity

Cargo weight: 580 lbs.

Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max

Empty weight: 920 lbs.

Maximum weight: 1,500 lbs.

even if you could haul the bike and trailer you still have to be able to stop it. this kind of weight plus pulling over mountains passes will stess the car and the brakes.

Not a bad idea. It is $75 for the trailer for 5 days and the gas for the bike would add another $175 for 2000 miles. Interesting...
You're costs will be more than $75 :) You need to buy a hitch and pay to have that installed, you're looking at around $200 bones I would think just for that.

Another option would be to rent a pickup truck (seriously) and put the miles on the rental, and put your bike in the back.

You also avoid the Oh-shit that occurs when something bad happens to the company car and you're not in Col for business.

I really like the idea of renting a bike when I get there. It gives me a chance to try another bike and it allows me to use the company car that I love to abuse. They allow me to use it in the 48 states and have an open policy to miles. Don't hate me for saying this but I think I want to rent a Harley. You know, a full dresser. See what all of the hype is about.

your not gonna be able to pull the bike on a trailer for the same gas mileage as without the trailer... so add at least 25%-30% extra gas for the car in your comparison. as someone else said you gonna be lucky if you can pull that trailer and bike in the mountains. i would have to agree with renting a truck and hauling it in the back.

khrome

I really like the idea of renting a bike when I get there. It gives me a chance to try another bike and it allows me to use the company car that I love to abuse. They allow me to use it in the 48 states and have an open policy to miles. Don't hate me for saying this but I think I want to rent a Harley. You know, a full dresser. See what all of the hype is about.

My wife rented an Electra Glide for me for my birthday a couple of years ago. At first I hated that slow POS, but after riding it for 3 days in cloudy 30° weather, listening to the radio, using the cruise control and enjoying the ride, I seriously considered buying one until they told me it would cost 19k - 22k to outfit one to my standards.

For that money I can get a used Tour Deluxe and a FJR and have the best of both worlds :D

:blink:

khrome